a
t
i
r
mikael mikael
wrote...
Donated
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, mikael
The Swiss government has been debating over 'Plant Rights', reaching a majority decision that since plants are living, they deserve rights equivalent to that of humans. Smith claims that the Swiss Federal Ethics Committee on Non-Human Biotechnology have refereed to killing plants as a form of 'plant decapitation' and without cause will result in punishment.

"enshrining of 'plant dignity' is a symptom of a cultural disease that has infected Western civilization, causing us to lose the ability to think critically and distinguish serious from frivolous ethical concerns"

If anyone can find more recent news on this topic, I would really love to read it.

Thoughts? Opinions?  Face with Rolling Eyes

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/secondhandsmoke/2009/12/26/anti-humanism-now-plants-are-the-most-ethical-life-form/
Read 1329 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
13 years ago
Plants having equivalent rights to humans is absurd.
wrote...
13 years ago
of course not equivalent rights, but that doesn't mean that a person can set a tree on fire for the heck of it and get away with it.
wrote...
13 years ago
Karim89 is right

If this were true, how are we supposed to eat? If plants have the same rights as humans...is it ok to have farms and to cook our veggies? Under a Plant Rights Act you could face life in prison for having a herb garden Confounded Face
~Live well, laugh often, and love with all of your heart!~
wrote...
13 years ago
Makes me hungry for some salad.  Being diabolical just keeps getting easier.
qew
wrote...
13 years ago
haha! That sounds quite silly to me; sorry if anyone takes offense but if plants have rights then i guess they have feelings too, maybe we should never touch any without consent and never mend our lawns because we could potentially be invading their privacy.

They come back every season! And I think Karim89 makes a good point, our environment definitely needs more respect and consideration as we share this planet with millions of other species but calling them "rights" is a bit over the top.

What's next? They get insurance coverage too?
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
13 years ago
I think so as well; why not argue the rights of algae, bacteria or fungi.
wrote...
13 years ago
Karim89 is right

If this were true, how are we supposed to eat? If plants have the same rights as humans...is it ok to have farms and to cook our veggies? Under a Plant Rights Act you could face life in prison for having a herb garden Confounded Face

Exactly! We need plants in order to survive... not animals. They should have stronger "animal rights"
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1320 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion