i
d
d
J
arco arco
wrote...
Rep: 4 0
6 years ago
Use the five steps of the listening process to describe how you listen to a lecture.
Read 56 times
1 Reply
Interpersonal Communication: Relating to Others, 7th Canadian Edition (Beebe, Redmond, Wiseman)

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
Answers may vary, but they should all employ the five steps of the listening process to explain what happens as they listen to a lecture. What follows is an example.

*As I listen to a class lecture, I must select or sort through the sounds that are competing for my attention.

* Since I know the material the professor is addressing is something I need to know, for the exam if for no other reason, I attend to what the teacher is saying and block out competing or distracting sounds from elsewhere. If the teacher speaks well, he or she will help me listen by using humour or connecting ideas to concrete or real things.

* As I listen, I will seek to understand what the professor is saying by trying to relate what I hear to what I already know.

* By connecting the ideas and concepts discussed by the teacher, I will try to remember the information by pushing it into long-term memory, but most likely I will lose most of it in short-term memory. That's one reason I take notes, so I can review the material again later.

* As I try to understand and listen, I will respond to the teacher by using eye contact, facial expressions that communicate confusion or boredom, asking questions, or making comments.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  704 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 422

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?