u
A
B
j
iScience iScience
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
why do lactose intolerance lead to increased gas production?

is it because the bacteria are doing all of the digestion of the lactose? whereas normally the lactase would be doing most of the digestion?

why does the absence of lactase in the small intestines cause cramps and diarrhea?
Read 493 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
I'd assume that the lack of lactose digestion would led less gas. Gas is a by-product of digestion. It suggests that the bacteria in your intestines are hard at work.

why does the absence of lactase in the small intestines cause cramps and diarrhea?

Are you speaking from experience?
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
iScience Author
wrote...
10 years ago
no not experience, this is something i read on wikipedia or some other site. They said that lactose ingestion by someone who is lactose intolerant leads to stomach cramps and diarrhea.

just to help me understand what you were saying about gas production, were you saying that since less of the ingested lactose quantity gets digested, less total gas should be produced?

regardless of 'how' however, it sounds like you're saying that the ingestion of lactose by a lactose intolerant individual should produce less gas. but all the sites i've visited state that more gas is produced. although i'm more interested in what is actually going on, i don't have the chemistry background just yet i am still in organic chem 1 so i don't understand reactions, but if you know of a website that has basic information on what's going on during lactose digestion could you refer me to it?
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
just to help me understand what you were saying about gas production, were you saying that since less of the ingested lactose quantity gets digested, less total gas should be produced?

Yes, that's my hypothesis. The less it gets digested, the less gas that is produced. I might be wrong, but it makes sense since gas is a by-product of digestion.

Send me one of those websites that makes this claim.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1078 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 19
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?