HCl + NaOH Rightwards Arrow NaCl +H2O
HCl + NH3 Rightwards Arrow I dunno
NH4Cl + NaOH ---> I dunno
Read 366 times
2 Replies
Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
Monkey's chemical equations are incorrect.

State symbols would be nice.

HCl(aq)  +  NaOH(aq)  Rightwards Arrow NaCl(aq)  +  H2Ol)

If the reactants are in the gas phase, then solid ammonium chloride is produced.
HCl(g)  + NH3(g)  Rightwards Arrow NH4Cl(s)

If the reactants are in aqueous solution, then the products are ionis in solution.
HCl(aq) +  NH3(aq)  Rightwards Arrow  NH4Cl(aq)

NH4Cl(aq) + NaOH(aq) ---> NaCl(aq)  +  NH3(aq)  +  H2O(l)
Lest you think that NH4OH is a product, then keep in mind that there is no ammonium hydroxide in aqueous solution.

========= Follow up ==========

Suffice it to say that "chem dude" is quite mistaken.  Of course HCl is a gas at room temperature.  When HCl is dissolved in water then hydrochloric acid is formed.  Perhaps "chem dude" should take some hydrochloric acid and heat it up on a hot plate.  He'll get a big surprise that will be quite unpleasant.  Breathing the vapor will actually cause quite a great deal of harm as HCl gas combines with his mucosa reforming hydrochloric acid in his nasal passages and lungs.   He won't be a happy camper because indeed, HCl IS A GAS!!!!!

A very common demonstration is the reaction between gaseous HCl and ammonia gas to form solid particles of ammonium chloride.  It is often done in a long glass tube as demonstration of Graham's law, despite the fact that it really isn't an example of Graham's law at all, but that's a different story.

=========== More follow up ===========

If the question had mentioned "hydrochloric acid" that might of have been different, but it didn't.  The writer of the question didn't even put state symbols in, which is the issue that I was addressing.

Ok.  Here are some "ionic equations".
1.  H+ + OH- Rightwards Arrow H2O
2.  HCl(g) + NH3(g) Rightwards Arrow NH4Cl(s) ..... or
.... H+ + NH3(aq) Rightwards Arrow NH4+
3.  NH4+ + OH- Rightwards Arrow NH3(aq) + H2O

Please keep in mind that I have been teaching chemistry and writing ionic equations much longer than "chem dude" has been alive.
Answer accepted by topic starter
foxraca44foxraca44
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
10 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 180 words.