a
t
i
r
dbassan dbassan
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Are all main sequence stars dwarf stars, or do giants/supergiants count as main sequence stars too?
Read 279 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
none of the above. they are the second step of the star cycle. the sun is a main sequence star
wrote...
10 years ago
i think all stars spend some time on the main sequence. and i think after the hydrogen fuel is used up within the stars core then it moves off the main sequence line.
wrote...
10 years ago
Any star  that is in hydrostatic equilibrium between gravity and pressure is  a main sequence star, including some very massive  giant stars. Super giant stars are not in hydrostatic equilibrium so they are not on the  main sequence once their cores collapse  and the outer layers start to expand because of the cores hotter temperature and increased pressure from the core.
wrote...
10 years ago
This is the easy way of looking at it..

The term "Main Sequence" is a time at which a star is in it's mid life.
wrote...
10 years ago
Blue supergiants and yellow/orange/red dwarfs can be on the main sequence (our own Sun is sometimes classed as a yellow dwarf). Otherwise white dwarfs are dead stars and yellow/orange/red giants are older stars that have left the main sequence.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1288 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292