a
t
i
r
friskie friskie
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I dont understand what these are. can someone please explain it to me?
Read 350 times
3 Replies
Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
The light-dependent portion of photosynthesis is carried out by two consecutive photosystems (photosystem I and photosystem II) in the thylakoid membrane of the chloroplasts. The photosystems are driven by the excited chlorophyll molecules.

To begin photosynthesis, the chlorophyll molecule in photosystem II is excited by sunlight and the energy produced helps to break down a water molecule (H2O) into ½O2 (with electrons removed) and 2H+. The removed electrons are excited by the light energy. When the electrons prepare to come to their rest state, they go through an oxidative phosphorylation process and produces an ATP molecule.

As the electrons are coming to a resting state, they are excited again in photosystem I and raised to a even higher energy state. The excited electrons are then used to produce NADP+ + H+. The highly energetic NADPH molecule is then fed into the Calvin Cycle to conduct carbon fixation
Answer accepted by topic starter
foofighter15foofighter15
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 250 words.

Related Topics

wrote...
10 years ago
Photosystem I (PS I) (or plastocyanin: ferredoxin oxidoreductase) is the second photosystem in the photosynthetic light reactions of algae, plants, and some bacteria. Photosystem I is so named because it was discovered before photosystem II. Aspects of PS I were discovered in the 1950s, but the significances of these discoveries was not yet known. Louis Duysens first proposed the concepts of photosystems I and II in 1960, and, in the same year, a proposal by Fay Bendall and Robert Hill assembled earlier discoveries into a cohesive theory of serial photosynthetic reactions. Hill and Bendall?s hypothesis was later justified in experiments conducted in 1961 by Duysens and Witt groups.

Photosystem II (or water-plastoquinone oxidoreductase) is the first protein complex in the light-dependent reactions. It is located in the thylakoid membrane of plants, algae, and cyanobacteria. The enzyme captures photons of light to energize electrons that are then transferred through a variety of coenzymes and cofactors to reduce plastoquinone to plastoquinol. The energized electrons are replaced by oxidizing water to form hydrogen ions and molecular oxygen. By obtaining these electrons from water, photosystem II provides the electrons for all of photosynthesis to occur. The hydrogen ions (protons) generated by the oxidation of water help to create a proton gradient that is used by ATP synthase to generate ATP. The energized electrons transferred to plastoquinone are ultimately used to reduce NADP+ to NADPH or are used in cyclic photophosphorylation. Slight Smile Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1254 People Browsing
Related Images