a
t
i
r
tswayfarer tswayfarer
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
i have to do a venn diagram for class. and i need help.
thanks Slight Smile
Read 418 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
Photosystem 1 has a number '1' in the name and photosystem 2 has a '2' in the name.
wrote...
10 years ago
Photosystem I (P I) has chlorophyll a with no or few chlorophyll b and can be independent so accepts from the antenna directly as well as from P II.
PI absorbs light of 700 nm maximally because of associated proteins so is designated P 700. P I passes electrons through another ET chain that generates NADPH

PII is P 680. The P II system passes electrons through ET chain of acceptors that generate ATP.
wrote...
10 years ago
Similarities

Both photosystems consist of a complex of molecules embedded in thylakoid membranes of the chloroplast.

Photosystem I and photosystem II are similar in that they both contain chlorophyll molecules, which can convert light energy into chemical energy.

In both photosystems, a photon causes an electron to reach a high energy level.

In both photosystems, the energized electron must be passed to a chlorophyll molecule in the reaction center before it can leave the photosystem.

Both contain carotenoid molecules.

Differences

The chlorophyll molecules in the reaction center of photosystem II are P680 (sensitive to wavelengths up to about 680 nm), whereas those in photosystem I are P700, which can therefore respond to slighter longer wavelengths.

Photosystem II, unlike photosystem I, contains plastoquinone, which passes the energetic electron to cytochromes b6 and f, but photosystem I passes the electron to ferredoxin.

In non-cyclic photophosphorylation, photosystem II is associated with the photolysis of water and subsequent synthesis of ATP; photosystem I is associated with the conversion of NADP+ to NADPH.

In cyclic photophosphorylation, only photosystem I produces an energized electron on receipt of a photon. Instead of producing NADPH, this electron travels to plastoquinone, and then to cytochromes b6 and f, as in the non-cyclic process.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1340 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370