f
j
b
c
dennagla dennagla
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Explain how NAD+ and FAD serve as electron carriers when they are reduced, and how these reduction reactions are coupled to oxidation reactions during cellular respiration.

This is making no sense to me...I wrote this for the first part of the question, tell me if that part is right or not, Thanks!
NAD+ and FAD act as electron acceptors. When they receive electrons and H+, they become electron carriers, namely NADH and FADH2. They have reducing power because they can transfer their electrons onto protein complexes in electron transport chain, and also can release protons (H+)
Read 1344 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago
Recall that reduced means they've gained electrons, so they are effectively 'charged'. Both these carriers are known are nucleotide coenzymes; their main purpose is to transport of protons (H+) and electrons from one reaction site to another.

The reductions of NAD to NADH and FAD to FADH2 are energy-harvesting reactions that will eventually transfer most of their free energy to ATP molecules. The reduced coenzymes act as mobile energy carriers within the cell, moving free energy from one place to another and from one molecule to another.

Now, in your textbook, there should be specific examples as to where these molecules do work. Let me know if you're still having trouble.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  952 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 300