× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
justtheusual justtheusual
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
We are doing a lab in my ap biology class where we will place E. Coli in petri dishes and one will include the sugar arabinose. The one petri dish with arabinose is supposed to glow under UV light. (sorry if this isn't enough background information)

My question is --
In the lab, it says that to make the E Coli cell "competent", you need incubation on ice, CaCl2 and heat shock. Why do you each of these 3? Please explain (because I sure have no clue..) Thanks for any and all help!!:) 
Source  Campbell Reece Biology 9th Edition
Read 517 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
In the transformation protocol, CaCl is often added to the mixture of DNA and bacteria. CaCl provides calcium cation (positively charged ion). The cation is added to neutralize the negative charged phosphate backbone of the DNA molecule and also the negatively charged surface of the bacteria. Thus, after you add the DNA, you have to let it sit for 30 minutes. The 30 minutes incubation on ice allows the bacterial membrane to stabilize and to increase the interaction between the calcium cation and the negatively charged components. Another theory is that calcium coats the bacteria surface, so that the negative charged DNA can be attached to the phospholipid membrane.

After that, the DNA-bacteria mixture is put into the 42C or 37C water bath for heat shock. The heat shock changes the fluidity of the membrane. Once the fluidity changes, DNA can then enter the bacteria at an efficient rate perhaps by cell surface invagination.

After heat shock for 30 seconds, the mixture is immediately placed on ice for 1-2 minutes before adding culture medium for growing. The exact reason for on-ice incubation is still under speculation. It is thought that the 2 minutes on-ice incubation reduces the thermal motion of DNA, so that it promotes exogenous DNA to enter the bacteria.

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1273 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372