a
t
i
r
tonyeye tonyeye
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
If there is a difference, please explain, into a very simplified way of comprehending the material. Is there some sort of forumla for optical density? Does it relate to Snell's Law?
Read 340 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
Optical density is nothing more than a vague colloquial term for index of refraction.  Index of refraction is the one which is actually quantified.  Optical density is just a bit of a figure of speech in order to give a hint as to the cause of index of refraction.

Only index of refraction and angles relate to Snell's law
wrote...
10 years ago
I don't know that it is a "colloquial" term - as the previous answer says. The Penguin Dictionary of Science defines a material with a higher refractive index as having a higher optical density.

But I think there may be another meaning, from astronomy. Imagine a cloud of hot, glowing gas, which is nevertheless so thin that you can see stars behind it. Then imagine another such cloud, through which it is more difficult or impossible to see the background: I would describe that as more optically dense. That has nothing to do with refractive index; perhaps we should reserve the term for the latter context.
wrote...
10 years ago
There are two definitions for optical density.  First, it's an alternate name for index of refraction.  Second, it the logarithm of the fraction of light the material absorbs.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1274 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741