m
p
m
f
melrod1103 melrod1103
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
contrast the resting potential of a typical neuron with that of SA node or autorhythmic cells of the heart conduction system
Read 415 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
I'm not sure how much detail you need but here it is in short:

The resting membrane potential for a neuron is -70mV, due to the Na+/K+ ATPase that brings 2 K+ in and 3 Na+ out (which creates the electrochemical gradient).  Its -70mV because more K+ is in the cell, bringing it closer to K+'s equilibrium potential.

Auto-rhythmic cells have an unstable resting potential due to three ionic events:
1) Gradual decreasing permeability to K+ (keeping more inside the cell)
2) Funny Na+ (leaky Na+) channels, allow Na+ to move in >> This point here is what I've seen in the majority of my courses!
3) Transient (T-type) Ca2+ channels open, Ca2+ starts to enter the cell (Ca2+ is what causes depolarization but that occurs when L-type channels open)
The membrane potential before these events is ~ -60mV (but since it is unstable it doesn't stay at this value, it is constantly rising until it reaches threshold, depolarizes, repolarizes, the cycle repeats).

I attached two diagrams for you to compare.

Hope this helps!
 Attached file(s) 
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  967 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 7
Closes: November 4