f
a
d
c
danielarincon26 danielarincon26
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A hospitalized client with a history of alcohol abuse tells the nurse, I am leaving now. I don't want help. I have other things to attend to that are more important.

The nurse attempts to dis-cuss the client's concerns, but the client dresses and begins to walk out of the hospital room. The nurse should take which of the following actions at this time? 1. Call the nursing supervisor.
  2. Restrain the client, and call the physician.
  3. Call security to block the exits to the nursing unit.
  4. Tell the client that readmission is not possible after leaving against medical advice (AMA).
Read 58 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago

Rationale: The nurse should call the nursing supervisor. When clients leave against medical ad-vice (AMA), most health care facilities have documents relating to the client's responsibilities, which the client is asked to sign before leaving. The nurse should request that the client speak to the physician before leaving, but if the client refuses, the nurse cannot hold the client against his or her will. Any client has a right to health care and cannot be told otherwise (tell the client that readmission is not possible after leaving against medical advice (AMA)). A nurse can be charged with false imprisonment if a client is made to wrongfully believe that he or she cannot leave the hospital (restrain the client, and call the physician and call security to block the exits to the nursing unit).
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  821 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 7
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?