a
t
i
r
Squirrel Squirrel
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
The nurse is caring for an elderly client who fell down a flight of stairs and experienced a closed head injury. Secondary to loss of respiratory drive caused by increased intracranial pressure, the client had a tracheostomy placed.

When the daughter visits, she asks the nurse, Are you making sure Dad uses his CPAP at night? Because he has sleep apnea. What is the nurse's best response? 1. I will inform the doctor and get an order for respiratory therapy to set up a machine before bed tonight.
  2. He doesn't need his CPAP at night anymore, but I'll remind the doctor to order it just in case he has problems.
  3. CPAP was prescribed to keep the airway open. Now his tracheostomy will do that, and he won't need it until the tracheostomy is closed.
  4. When a client is critically ill and monitored on the cardiorespiratory monitor, he doesn't need his CPAP, because we'll know if he stops breathing.
Read 37 times
1 Reply