t
i
r
r
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Does anyone know what the human chromosome 17's alpha satellite sequence is responsible for?
Read 564 times
13 Replies
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
I believe their role is with centromeres, as far as my research in the topic goes.

Alpha-satellite is a family of tandemly repeated sequences found at all normal human centromeres. In addition to its significance for understanding centromere function, alpha-satellite is also a model for concerted evolution, as alpha-satellite repeats are more similar within a species than between species. There are two types of alpha-satellite in the human genome; while both are made up of approximately 171-bp monomers, they can be distinguished by whether monomers are arranged in extremely homogeneous higher-order, multimeric repeat units or exist as more divergent monomeric alpha-satellite that lacks any multimeric periodicity. In this study, as a model to examine the genomic and evolutionary relationships between these two types, we have focused on the chromosome 17 centromeric region that has reached both higher-order and monomeric alpha-satellite in the human genome assembly. Monomeric and higher-order alpha-satellites on chromosome 17 are phylogenetically distinct, consistent with a model in which higher-order evolved independently of monomeric alpha-satellite. Comparative analysis between human chromosome 17 and the orthologous chimpanzee chromosome indicates that monomeric alpha-satellite is evolving at approximately the same rate as the adjacent non-alpha-satellite DNA. However, higher-order alpha-satellite is less conserved, suggesting different evolutionary rates for the two types of alpha-satellite.
Source  http://genome.cshlp.org/content/16/1/88.long
http://www.omim.org/entry/126410
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
I passed by this article yesterday, but unfortunately, it does not relate to what I am actually looking for. There must be some link between the PCR of this chromosome and the hematopoietic system. But I am not able to find it, even though it is right there in the article I am supposed to present, the scientists don't elaborate on why they used the PCR of this chromosome as part of their evidence. Frowning Face
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
Can you show us your article? We may find something out of it.
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Sure! Please find it attached =)
 Attached file 
(1460.93 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
Hmm, I think the PCR at the alpha satellites was done just to detect human dna (as the title of the paragraph says). Maybe it is a way to make sure that they collected the correct human cells, and not some mouse cells.

Do you have another reason to believe that alpha satellites have something to do with hematopoietic cells?
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Thank you so  much Alexx.

I am actually not sure why I thought that. But if they were trying to detect human DNA, then why did they "specifically" pick chromosome 17. Why not others? Is it possible that the CD34 marker genes are on this chromosome? Because CD34 (Sox2 &miR-125b transduced) cells were injected, and a PCR band showed for the injected site. But I cannot understand why the spleen also showed a band. The CD34+ cells matured and differentiated into CD45+ and thosewere detected in all the elements of the hematopoietic system including the contralateral bone marrow.

I honestly don't know. I am losing it over obssessing with details. I don't think I will speak about this result in the presentation if I don't figure it out by tomorrow  Frowning Face
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
To be honest I also noticed that the PCR showed bands to other regions other than the bone marrow, but I though I missed something so I didn't pay much attention Face with Stuck-out Tongue

The CD34+ cells matured and differentiated into CD45+ and thosewere detected in all the elements of the hematopoietic system including the contralateral bone marrow.

But, aren't CD45 hematopoietic cells that create blood cells? Blood cells can be found in all these places, and, especially spleen since it acts as a storage of blood cells.
Blood cells (except red blood cells) contain DNA, so human DNA could be found in these places. So, as I said before, the certain alpha satellite might be used to detect human DNA and not specifically the CD45+ cells.
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, ehd123
I see your point =/ But why not another chromosome? Like chromosome 18 for example? What's so special about 17?
Post Merge: 9 years ago

I found this

http://mcb.asm.org/content/early/2014/06/17/MCB.01528-13

I am extremely confused right now.
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
Well, a short search showed that alpha satellites are quite often used as markers and such stuff:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1685138

Well, my guess is that, they could use another DNA region as well, but they just chosen this one. I don't know if there is a reason they specifically used alpha satellite 17 and not another alpha satellite, or another DNA region able to determine the existence of human DNA.
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Is it okay if I emailed the author of the article and asked him directly?

Also, do you by any chance know what BF means on the microscopy figures? like in figure 5F, there is a BF written on the photo.
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Is it okay if I emailed the author of the article and asked him directly?

I've heard that's normal practice, let's just hope they reply back in time, otherwise you can call them too.
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
Also, do you by any chance know what BF means on the microscopy figures? like in figure 5F, there is a BF written on the photo.
Hmm, I think it's this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright-field_microscopy
https://www.google.gr/search?q=bf+microscopy&client=firefox-a&hs=PAf&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=rcs&biw=1366&bih=657&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ac9HVK_KL-T5ywPplIGICQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

I found this

http://mcb.asm.org/content/early/2014/06/17/MCB.01528-13

I am extremely confused right now.
Sorry, I didn't see your reply there.
What about this article? I don't see how it is related to alpha satellites. (I'm missing something?)
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
I hope so to *fingers crossed*

Alexx, I think I missed something. I searched "chromosome 17, hematopoietic system" and that showed up. I was too into it that I didn't notice "17" was not there, and that it was speaking about chromosomal instability in general.

This is what happens when I dwell too much into things. My professor said that if you weren't able to understand what it is for, then just don't speak about it. It would be to my disadvantage if I spoke about something I didn't grasp well.
Anyhow, I emailed the author. If he replied by tomorrow, so be it. If not, I will just emit it from my presentation.
At least subconsciously I would know I tried my best right?
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1141 People Browsing
 124 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?