s
a
t
i
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, oem7110
I would like to know on why blood clotting is not effective during a full moon.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

"In October 2009, British politician David Tredinnick asserted that during a full moon, surgeons will not operate because blood clotting is not effective and the police have to put more people on the street."
Ref : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_effect
Read 1527 times
10 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Also in that article:

One study, in Barcelona, Spain, found a statistically significant correlation between lunar phase and hospital admissions due to gastrointestinal bleeding, but only when comparing full moon days to all non-full moon days lumped together. The statistical significance of the results disappears if one compares day 29 of the lunar cycle (full moon) to days 9, 12, 13, or 27 of the lunar cycle, which have an almost equal number of hospital admissions. Researchers acknowledged that the wide variation in the number of admissions throughout the lunar cycle limited the interpretation of the results.

I checked through PubMed, and couldn't find anything else related to this Undecided Therefore, it's up for interpretation... What's your hypothesis?
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Would it be less heart attack occurrence during full moon? since blood clotting not effective to block blood circulation.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions :>

Rom
wrote...
9 years ago
Interesting question, I would like to know about it too. Thanks in advance for anyone who would provide the answers. Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, bio_man
Would it be less heart attack occurrence during full moon? since blood clotting not effective to block blood circulation.

It would make sense if the correlation suggests that it's an actual cause... But I highly doubt that the moon cycle plays a role since none of these speculations have been scientifically proven, and it seems too far-fetched.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, oem7110
I would like to know on which following conditions blood clotting is more effective:

1) Blood contains high CO2 levels or lower pH level in blood
2) Blood contains high O2 levels or higher pH level in blood

Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions :>

Post Merge: 9 years ago

I would like to know on whether blood clotting means making the individual red blood cell stick together or not.

wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
I would like to know on whether blood clotting means making the individual red blood cell stick together or not.

The cells stick together due to the platelets within the cell. Platelets are cell fragments that function in the clotting system.

Higher levels of CO2 also lead to an immediate drop in blood and extracellular fluid pH levels through the formation of carbonic acid, thus obliging the hemoglobin to more readily distribute its oxygen to meet local metabolic requirements.  Lower levels of CO2, as a result of lower metabolism, lead to blood vessel constriction (e.g. reduction in the diameter of the coronaries) and to higher levels of blood and extracellular fluid pH (less carbonic acid), thus permitting oxygen and glucose to go elsewhere where metabolic requirements are greater.  In the simplest of terms, this is the biochemistry of healthy respiration.

If I were to guess, I'd say the more acidic the blood, the more likely it is to clot.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago

The cells stick together due to the platelets within the cell. Platelets are cell fragments that function in the clotting system.

If I were to guess, I'd say the more acidic the blood, the more likely it is to clot.

How Does Blood Clot

Referring to above video, the forming the clotting system based on following elements : platelets, clotting factors, fibrin, other cells. I would like to know on what activate platelets to be sticky at the first place.

wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Excellent question, and I've found an excellent explanation:

<a rel="nofollow" href="https://http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/esp/2002_general/Esp/folder_structure/tr/m1/s7/assets/flash/trm1s7_3.swf" target="_blank">https://http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/esp/2002_general/Esp/folder_structure/tr/m1/s7/assets/flash/trm1s7_3.swf</a>
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago
1) Blood lose causing Vasoconstriction because of lower pressure.
2) Platelets adhere to exposed collagen,

Do Platelets become sticky only after releasing Serotonin, ADP, Thromboxane A2? Before releasing ADP, Platelets do not sticky at all, would it be correct statements?

wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Do Platelets become sticky only after releasing Serotonin, ADP, Thromboxane A2? Before releasing ADP, Platelets do not sticky at all, would it be correct statements?

I believe it is the Von Willebrand factor that causes these platelets to stick.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1253 People Browsing
 103 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?