r
r
Aliciasmith Aliciasmith
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
red green is known to be a x linked genetic disorder

Write the following genotypes for individuals I -1 I-2 II-4 and III-1

If II-1 and II-2 have a son what is the possibility that the son will have redgreen color blindness ?

If couples II-7 and II-8 have a son what is the probability that the son will have red green color blindness ?
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 437 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
First of all, we must check if the allele for the red-green color blindness is dominant or recessive.
Father transfers his mutant X allele to all his daughters. Since not all of his daughters are color blind, the allele cant be dominant. So the allele for the color blindness is recessive.

Let's symbolize XR the dominant (wild) allele and Xr the recessive (mutant) allele.

Father is color-blind so his genotype is: XrY. (I-1 is XrY)
Let's check II-7 now. She is color blind, so she must be: XrXr (since Xr is recessive).
II-7 inherited a Xr from her father and a Xr from her mother. Since the mother is not color-blind. she also has one dominant XR allele. So her genotype is: I-2 XRXr.

As we said earlier, all daughters inherited a Xr gene from their father. Since II-4 is not color blind, she also has one dominant XR allele. So she is: II-4 XRXr

Now, let's check III-1. As we said earlier, II-7 is XrXr. So, III-1 inherited a Xr allele from her mother (II-7). But she is not color blind (and her father is not color blind either) so, she also inherited a dominant XR allele from her father. So, III-1 is XRXr

From the above:
Write the following genotypes for individuals I -1 I-2 II-4 and III-1
I-1 is XrY
I-2 is XRXr
II-4 is XRXr
III-1 is XRXr

If II-1 and II-2 have a son what is the possibility that the son will have redgreen color blindness ?
As we said earlier, all daughters inherited a Xr allele from their fathers. Since II-2 is not color blind, she also has a dominant XR (genotype: XRXr). I-1 is male and not color blind, so he can only be: XRY.
If I-1 and I-2 make a son, then:
The son will inherit the Y chromosome from his father, and a X chromosome from his mother. So, it all depends from the allele that the son will inherit from his mother. If he inherits the XR allele, then he will be normal (XRY). If he inherits the Xr allele, he will be color-blind (XrY). There is 50% possibility for the son to inherit XR, and 50% to inherit Xr. So, the possibility we need is 50%.

If couples II-7 and II-8 have a son what is the probability that the son will have red green color blindness ?
Likewise, the son will inherit a Y chromosome from his father, and a X from his mother. Again, all depends on his mother. Since his mother is XrXr, the son will surely inherit a Xr allele, and he will be color-blind (genotype XrY). Therefore, the son has 100% possibility to be color-blind.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1391 People Browsing
 107 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249