× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Then you could say that when people ingest milk and get swelling and hives that isn't an allergy.
People reacting to peanuts isn't an allergy etc.

I fail to understand how you can compare completely different disorders just because they happen to have similar symptoms.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, GaiaGirl95
Then you could say that when people ingest milk and get swelling and hives that isn't an allergy.
People reacting to peanuts isn't an allergy etc.

I fail to understand how you can compare completely different disorders just because they happen to have similar symptoms.

Logical fallacy.
You're saying peanut allergies aren't allergies 50% of the time, because the symptoms are the same.

Her symptoms are consistent with H2O binding to the IGE receptors and triggering mast cell degranulation
Y'know, like what happens when you introduce peanuts when you're allergic.

How about you try and give me this new, mysterious mechanism?
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago

Logical fallacy.
You're saying peanut allergies aren't allergies 50% of the time, because the symptoms are the same.

I didn't say that ... I'm sorry but i'm unable to follow you. I can't continue the discussion like that.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
''Aquagenic pruritus.''
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2411768

''Familial aquagenic urticaria associated with familial lactose intolerance.'
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12271310

''Aquagenic urticaria with extracutaneous manifestations.''
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16119038

Aquagenic urticaria: report of a case.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15317326

Aquagenic urticaria is a very rare form of physical urticaria induced by contact with water. In this case report, we describe a child with a typical form of the disease in whom other types of physical urticaria were ruled out. Clinical manifestations, investigational methodology, and available treatments were reviewed. Treatment with hydroxyzine, 25 mg daily, was successful after a month follow-up in preventing wheals and erythema. However, mild pruritus is still present after contact with water.

Hydroxyzine is an anti-histamine.
This article mentions how the effects of water on the skin is less severe after taking anti-histamines.

This implies that in at least some of these cases, the hives are histamine-mediated.

By the way, mast cells do not exist in the blood, but the gut, respiratory tract (throat and lungs), skin, and bladder lining. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 123217.htm

An important component of the immune system is the mast cell, a distinct type of immune cell that initiates an early response to combat and clear invading pathogens. Mast cells are located in large numbers in the skin, gut, lung and bladder lining, which are common sites for pathogens to enter and attack the body.

Extracellular fluid (the free fluid that is not contained inside of cells) only constitutes about 20% of the body's water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_water
Antibodies on the mast cells exist on its surface. So the antibodies would not react to the water inside of the cell.

Interstitial Fluid makes up 16% of human body weight and blood plasma 4% of human body weight.

20% is a lot different to suddenly being exposed (be it internally or externally) to water in nearly 100% concentration.
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
...Your posts are so inaccurate scientifically, that I wonder if there is any point explaining your mistakes.
1) mast cells aren't present only on the skin and digestive system. They are also common in other parts of the body, like blood vessels and connective tissues.
2)
Extracellular fluid (the free fluid that is not contained inside of cells) only constitutes about 20% of the body's water.
What is your point there? It is 20% of the body's water.. That does not mean that the intracellular substance has only 20% water. Same goes with the blood, and all other percentages you wrote.
Blood is only about 5 lt. If you substract the cells (to take the plasma) it is even less. BUT the composition of water is pretty high.

3) The receptors responsible for binding the antigen are surrounded by water molecules. If water was really an antigen, even a small amount around the receptors would be enough to trigger an allergic reaction.

to water in nearly 100% concentration.
I told you, the concentration is likely what causes the symptoms (for example because of osmosis). However, that does not prove that it has anything to do with allergic reaction.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Ok, thanks for that. I thought when it said 20% it meant concentration not water by weight. Thanks for clearing that up for me.  Wink Face
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
It is ok. I like people suggesting new ideas even if they are wrong, but there should always be a self research and proper judgement first. The problem is that the points you are suggesting are very superficially thought, and doesn't have much scientific base (not only for your last post).
Also, it seems that you are afraid to be proved wrong. You should change that if you want to be a scientist.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
But there's a problem.. if it is really true that there's constantly water between cells, that means the mast cells are surrounded by water, is that correct?

Then shouldn't she be dead from a severe entire-body reaction?
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
Hi again,

What do you know about mast cells?
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Hi again,

What do you know about mast cells?

Mast cells can trigger an allergic response. They contain histamine and they have antibodies on their surface which reacts to a particular molecule. When they do they degranulate and histamine is released.

Why?
Did you read my previous post?

Am I correct in that the antibodies of the mast cells are constantly surrounded by water? (extracellular fluid?)
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
Yes... in fact, any cell that flows in the bloodstream are in contact with water.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Yes... in fact, any cell that flows in the bloodstream are in contact with water.

But what about places where the mast cells are the most prelevant, the dermis, lining of the respiratory tract etc? The antigen receptors on mast cells lie on the surface so they cannot react to the water contained in cells.

True or false: dermal, respiratory tract lining mast cell receptors are constantly surrounded by extracellular water?

If True, then why isn't this woman constantly having an allergic reaction?
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
The antigen receptors on mast cells lie on the surface so they cannot react to the water contained in cells.

That's not true; I think you have a misconception here. When they bind to antibodies, that doesn't mean they avoid water Undecided
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
But what about places where the mast cells are the most prelevant, the dermis, lining of the respiratory tract etc? The antigen receptors on mast cells lie on the surface so they cannot react to the water contained in cells.

All mast cells are surrounded by water (and generally, almost all of our cells are). But there are differences between water, and other liquids that contain water. One of these differences is osmosis. Another difference might be the temperature. Note that, some of these people have trouble drinking a glass of COLD water, while they can drink tea more easily (tea is usually drunk hot). And if you read wikipedia, it says that hot baths might actually help these people by reducing the pain from future exposures to water.

If True, then why isn't this woman constantly having an allergic reaction?

How it is possible? It is possible because it is not an allergy!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1260 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145