× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
http://www.ppdictionary.com/tutorials/delayed_type_4.htm

Watch that again. You should develop an appreciation as to what happens within our body. Had you actually watched it thoroughly, you would have developed a conclusion as to why it's nonsense.

Anyway, long story short, the person would be hypersensitived at birth, if not during development and therefore would be long dead.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Uh, no, that's wrong. I became allergic to peanuts at 10 years old. Before that I could eat them fine. Then suddenly one day I had a full blown allergic reaction.

You can get allergies suddenly in your lifetime.
You're not always born with them. Not at all.
wrote...
10 years ago
To quote from the article "Investigators believe the hives are not caused by a histamine release but are the result of extreme skin sensitivity to additives in water such as chlorine."
It cannot be a reaction to the water itself  but the additives.
Miz  Bee
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
''Wikipedia: list of allergens'' lists water as being an allergen.
It is commonly characterized as an allergy, but that doesn't mean that is is truly an allergy. The disorder has nothing to do with the immune system, and that's why it is not an allergy (although it might mistakenly be called an allergy)

Why isn't an allergy to H2O possible? Simple as that.
If someone has a H2O allergy, then I can't see the reason why our own water is not causing the allergic reaction. In that case, the person would always have an allergic reaction.

And yes, bio_man, it is not possible to be that kind of hypersensitivity, since H2O molecules exists everywhere, within our body and out of our body.

I would say that, it probably isn't the H2O molecule that cases that, but the nature of water liquid. For example, in normal people, water will cause the skin to swollen (water is absorbed by the skin). On the people with the disorder, the skin might be sensitive to water absorption, and some symptoms might be visible. However, these are just some guesses.

In addition, (as Wikipedia says) changes of temperature, or chemicals included in water might also be responsible for the symptoms.

And I remind, that we talk about 2 different disorders there, Aquagenic pruritus and Aquagenic urticaria. I am pretty sure that the woman has Aquagenic urticaria (although the article says otherwise)

wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
I would like to add to that:
The H2O molecule can not possibly cause any allergic reaction. Allergic reactions are caused by large molecules, able to bind to the antigen receptors. These molecules can be proteins, lipids, carbohydrates etc etc etc but NOT H2O. The H2O molecule is too small to be able to bind to the receptors.
(I'm not even taking account the fact that the antigen receptors themselves are always surrounded by H2O molecules)
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Some articles say it's treatable with antihistamines. So it can't be due to absorption but something's happening with the Mast Cells here.

What if she only has sensitized mast cells in her skin or in her throat? that'd explain why she doesn't react to her own blood.

Blood is only 83% water. it would seem she only reacts to concentrated water.
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
What if she only has sensitized mast cells in her skin or in her throat? that'd explain why she doesn't react to her own blood.
It could be.
Blood is only 83% water. it would seem she only reacts to concentrated water.
That could also be true. Because of osmosis, water might cause the reaction, while other waterish liquids (like blood) might not be causing anything.
For example: because of osmosis, water is absorbed by the skin (and by the cells) more easily. Other liquids (like salty water) are not absorbed by the skin.

Some articles say it's treatable with antihistamines. So it can't be due to absorption but something's happening with the Mast Cells here.
About that, they probably mean that histamine might be produced after prolonged contact with water, and the histamine might cause some sort of reaction that causes itching.

Anyways, the sure thing is that we don't know for certain what causes the problem.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
I would like to add to that:
The H2O molecule can not possibly cause any allergic reaction. Allergic reactions are caused by large molecules, able to bind to the antigen receptors. These molecules can be proteins, lipids, carbohydrates etc etc etc but NOT H2O. The H2O molecule is too small to be able to bind to the receptors.
(I'm not even taking account the fact that the antigen receptors themselves are always surrounded by H2O molecules)

Thats a big thing you're saying right there because you're saying over 30+ people with this condition are all liars.

Size has nothing to do with binding. It's the shape.
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Thats a big thing you're saying right there because you're saying over 30+ people with this condition are all liars.

I just say that it is not possible for H2O to make an allergic reaction. That does not mean that the condition is fake. Not all disorders are allergies.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
But that doesn't explain why these people experience swelling of the throat whenever they drink liquids.

Even drinking liquids that are basically filtered water, such as orange juice, milk etc (don't contain the chemicals in tap water) cause them this reaction.
wrote...
10 years ago
The title of the thread is highly misleading, but the article is nevertheless interesting.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
The title of the thread is highly misleading, but the article is nevertheless interesting.

it isn't misleading. this woman is reacting to H2O. or water, as you may put it.

She even reacts to filtered water (milk, orange juice etc) so impurities in tap water cannot be the culprit.
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
But that doesn't explain why these people experience swelling of the throat whenever they drink liquids.

Even drinking liquids that are basically filtered water, such as orange juice, milk etc (don't contain the chemicals in tap water) cause them this reaction.

What do you mean? Not all disorders are allergies. There might be other mechanisms that causes the swelling that are not disorders of the immune system.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago

What do you mean? Not all disorders are allergies. There might be other mechanisms that causes the swelling that are not disorders of the immune system.

Then you could say that when people ingest milk and get swelling and hives that isn't an allergy.
People reacting to peanuts isn't an allergy etc.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1240 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?