a
t
i
r
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
10 years ago
Could anyone please help me with the attached question?
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 880 times
3 Replies
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
Raoult's law is a law of thermodynamics established by French physicist François-Marie Raoult in 1882. [1] The partial vapor pressure of each component of an ideal mixture of liquids is equal to the vapor pressure of the pure component multiplied by its mole fraction in the mixture. The total vapor pressure of the ideal solution is then directly dependent on the vapor pressure of each chemical component and the mole fraction of the component present in the solution.[2]

Once the components in the solution have reached equilibrium, the total vapor pressure p of the solution is: \scriptstyle p = p^{\star}_{\rm A} x_{\rm A} + p^{\star}_{\rm B} x_{\rm B} + \cdots and the individual vapor pressure for each component is \scriptstyle p_i = p^{\star}_i x_i where pi is the partial vapor pressure of the component i in the gaseous mixture (above the solution), p*i is the vapor pressure of the pure component i, and xi is the mole fraction of the component i in the mixture (in the solution).

If a pure solute which has zero vapor pressure (it will not evaporate) is dissolved in a solvent, the vapor pressure of the final solution will be lower than that of the pure solvent.
Source  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raoult%27s_law
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
How does that help answer her question?
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
The question is:

Draw a general temperature-composition diagram similar to that of Figure 3.11, but with a boiling point of 56.6 ºC for the lower b.p. component and of 100 C for the higher b.p. component. This diagram represents approximately the acetone-water system. At approximately what temperature will a 1:1 molar mixture of acetone and water begin to distill? A 3:1 molar mixture? A 1:3 molar mixture? What is the approximate composition of an acetone-water mixture which begins to distill at 70 ºC? At 80 ºC?
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1322 People Browsing
Gallery

Your Opinion