t
i
r
r
ankochan ankochan
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
How could you determine whether the turbidity in your nutrient broth tube was from a mixture of  different microbes or from the growth of only one kind of microbe?
Read 1930 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
The simplest method is to use a sterile pipette to take a small amount from the turbid mixture, mix it with distilled water and view under microscope. Use simple stain 1% solution of methylene blue/carbol fuschin/saffranin/crystal violet. you can easily identify if there are different microbes by shape,size,staining property.

Good luck
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
10 years ago
You can't tell from looking. you'll have to streak a plate and look at the colonies formed and their morphology. If all the colonies look the same, chance favors a pure culture. However, you could do a few stains from the broth to examine if the microbes look different

Gram Stain comes to mind immediately because you don't need to have a pure culture to get good results.
When you like a flower, you just pluck it out.
But when you love a flower, you water it daily.
The one who understands this, understands life.

- That's the difference between I like you and I love you.
wrote...
10 years ago
You could transfer the sample to a Petri dish with agar and see if different types of colonies grow
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1291 People Browsing
 116 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?