a
t
i
r
molecule molecule
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Im having some difficulty with this. What controls glycolysis and gluconeogenesis? I dont really know what this means, all i could think of was maybe hexokinase, phosphofructokinase and pyruvate control glycolysis and i dont know about genesis. Please help!
Read 1491 times
6 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Phosphofructokinase and fructose biphosphates levels. Let me know if you need an explanation!
molecule Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Phosphofructokinase and fructose biphosphates levels. Let me know if you need an explanation!
Hey bio man, please do explain! I just need a brief explanation of how the two are controlled?
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
9 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 250 words.
Source  http://www.pearsonhighered.com/mathews/ch16/c16f2bgr.htm

Related Topics

wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=127419
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
molecule Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Phosphofructokinase

Because phosphofructokinase (PFK) catalyzes the ATP-dependent phosphorylation to convert fructose-6-phosphate into fructose 1,6-bisphosphate and ADP, it is one of the key regulatory and rate limiting steps of glycolysis. PFK is able to regulate glycolysis through allosteric inhibition, and in this way, the cell can increase or decrease the rate of glycolysis in response to the cell’s energy requirements. For example high ratio of ATP to ADP will inhibit PFK and glycolysis. The key difference between the regulation of PFK in eukaryotes and prokaryotes is that in eukaryotes PFK is activated by fructose-2,6-bisphosphate. The purpose of fructose-2,6-bisphosphate is to supersede ATP inhibition, thus allowing eukaryotes to have greater sensitivity to regulation by hormones like glucagon and insulin.

fructose biphosphates

F2,6BP is one of the most important compounds involved in allosteric regulation of glycolysis and gluconeogenesis.

F2,6BP is made by action of the enzyme phosphofructokinase-2 (PFK2).

In this reaction, fructose-6-phosphate (F6P) is converted to F2,6BP by addition of a phosphate from ATP to position 2 of the molecule.

F2,6BP is broken down to F6P by action of the enzyme fructose-2,6-bisphosphatase, which hydrolyzes the phosphate from position 2, regenerating F6P.
Awesome, thanks your help Smiling Face with Open Mouth
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
You're very welcome, good luck with it.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1282 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?