× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
zestypeas zestypeas
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Hi there!

I'm currently working on my Master's in BioSciences (possibly Cellular Biology, but nothing's set in stone), and was looking for advice as to what I could do after receiving my degree.

I would like to gain some work experience before even thinking about a Ph. D. (which I know is a lot of hard work and should not be entered into lightly; thus, getting a job first), but what kind of jobs are out there? Would I be restricted to working in a lab? Most of the job searches I've turned up online are mainly lab-based, and a lot of them require Ph. D.s in very specific fields.

Which leads me to my next question: Is it a good idea to work for a little while before getting a Ph. D.? Would that put me at a disadvantage if I decided to apply for a Ph. D. program a few years later?

Ideally, I'd like to find a job in the field I'm interested in, but I know that's really difficult (and I'm likely to just take the first job that comes along). I'm actually interested in the study of infectious diseases (and also, cancer), but my master's program does not offer that. Does anyone have any suggestions of institutions/labs I could apply to for a job involving that subject area, so I can get a feel of whether it's something I'd like to pursue for a Ph. D.?

Thanks a lot in advance,
S
Read 14609 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Would I be restricted to working in a lab?

Very likely, depending on your major (which I'm assuming is general biology, right?)

Would I be restricted to working in a lab? Most of the job searches I've turned up online are mainly lab-based, and a lot of them require Ph. D.s in very specific fields.

They say that, but not necessarily.

Is it a good idea to work for a little while before getting a Ph. D.?

No, you will lose sight of your goal - money corrupts all Wink Face.

Would that put me at a disadvantage if I decided to apply for a Ph. D. program a few years later?

Do it as you're still young and fresh-minded.

I'm actually interested in the study of infectious diseases (and also, cancer), but my master's program does not offer that.

Then you must find a school that does! Follow what you're most interested in.

Does anyone have any suggestions of institutions/labs I could apply to for a job involving that subject area, so I can get a feel of whether it's something I'd like to pursue for a Ph. D.?

A real good friend of mine has a masters in that exact same field (pathogens and immunology) and he worked at a hospital lab for 10 years before he decided to become a high school teacher.

If you're becoming a Ph.D., you know that one of your duties is to teach! Why not look for a TA job at your university. It pays the bills and keeps your knowledge very recent.

My two cents.
zestypeas Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Thanks for your input!
wrote...
12 years ago
Hello!! I think it's a great idea!! Get into an REU those things are awesome and they pay great as well as looking awesome on your resume!!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1254 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145