c
o
l
r
zavier313 zavier313
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
The nurse is planning care for a pregnant patient prone to substance abuse. When the patient states, My baby isn't getting my drugs, I am, how does the nurse respond?

1. Most illicit drugs will cross the placenta and hurt the baby.
  2. Even drugs that do not cross the placenta can hurt your baby by preventing nutrients from getting across the placenta.
  3. Research shows taking drugs can cause your baby to be born too early.
  4. You are correct. You are far enough along in your pregnancy that drugs will not harm your baby.
  5. If you continue to take drugs, it will make you have a very irritable infant.
Read 42 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
Correct Answer: 1,2,3
Rationale 1: Most illicit drugs cross the placenta and can cause premature birth, low birth weight, birth defects, and withdrawal symptoms.
Rationale 2: Certain drugs can cause constriction of placental blood vessels, resulting in decreased nutrient exchange.
Rationale 3: Most illicit drugs cross the placenta and can cause premature birth, low birth weight, birth defects, and withdrawal symptoms.
Rationale 4: The effect the drug has on the fetus will depend on the stage of fetal development. There is a greater potential for harm during the first trimester but nutrients to the fetus can be compromised by drug abuse during the latter stages of pregnancy.
Rationale 5: While withdrawal can cause irritability in infants born to drug addicts, the risk for irritability is not the reason for abstaining from drug use during pregnancy.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  878 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 820

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?