× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
Charlie Charlie
wrote...
Donated
Rep: 4 0
12 years ago
Can anyone tell me about common functional groups and how to identify them on a molecule? Pls   Confounded Face
Read 3961 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
I have a really old chart for you Charlie that may help, firstly here's a strong list of them:

Next, look at this:

These molecular varieties fall into groups such as saturated Hydrocarbons with single H-C bonds (Alkanes), double bonds (Alkenes), and triple bonds (Alyknes); ring structures are represented by Aromatic Hydrocarbons. Isomers are organic molecules with the same chemical formula but different atomic arrangements. Among the derivative organic molecules (Hydrocarbons with parts replaced by functional groups) are Alchohols (--OH functional group), Ether (--O--), Aldehyde (--CHO), Ketone (--CO--), and Carboxylic Acid (--CO3H).

Let me know if you need further detail and I will explain it further Slight Smile
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Charlie Author
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago
Thank you so much Duddy... Very helpful!
Charlie Author
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago
Ok Duddy, I'm real confused trying to figure this out...

I'm trying to figure out what group the aromatic compound group in acetaminophen is and the breakdown of the rest of the groups??

wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago

You have a hydroxyl group: -OH (left part, alcohol linkage), it has an amide linkage. The amide linkage has H-N (single bond) and a CO double bond joined to the nitrogen (N) atom.

I've attached a chart I usually use Slight Smile
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
12 years ago

You have a hydroxyl group: -OH (left part, alcohol linkage), it has an amide linkage. The amide linkage has H-N (single bond) and a CO double bond joined to the nitrogen (N) atom.

I've attached a chart I usually use Slight Smile

Acetaminophen is basically a C6 ring with an hydroxyl group dangling from one end and an ethanamide group dangling off the other. The easiest way to figure out the answers to these sorts of questions is to look at the structure and to look at the IUPAC name.

For acetaminophen the IUPAC name is "N-(4-hydroxyphenyl)ethanamide".
could of, should of, would of...
Charlie Author
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago
Thanx guys!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1294 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion