a
t
i
r
Frank_Baker Frank_Baker
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
What do you think of this? Is this unprofessional on the educational system's side?

My son has a practice exam paper he brought home a couple of weeks ago, and I was appalled:

Here it is: '''' ' Breaking apart a molecule through combination of oxygen is burning and is also how we measure the energy content of the chemical bonds, in calories using a calorimeter. However, cell metabolism is a ''slow burn''. Write the reason why rapid direct oxidation cannot naturally occur in the cell environment-that is, why ''spontaneous human combustion'' is not possible. '''

Are biased questions such as this commonplace in science papers? How is such a wrongful statement even allowed? There have been many cases of SHC. It is far from 'impossible' and very disgraceful to the families affected.
Read 939 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
There have been many cases of SHC.

There are no cases of SHC. It's all your imagination.

*Update*

Baby Rahul has grown up now, he's five! He told me he was just playing a prank on everyone a couple year back.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
9 years ago
No he hasn't grown up.

There's also the case of Frank Baker you should look at. Skeptics are baffled.
Just because it hasn't happened in a lab doesn't mean it isn't true, can't happen , or is nonsense.

''Unlikely'' doesn't mean it could not have occured!

I doubt a clump of cells will spontaneously combust in front of a scientist due to the rarity of these events.
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
No he hasn't grown up.

Yes, he has. I spoke to him last night. Are you calling me a liar? Confounded Face
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1241 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372