a
d
c
darwincalledit darwincalledit
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Hello!

So I've been trying to figure these last two questions out for a couple of days now, I've emailed my TA, Googled and tried EVERYTHING but I still don't understand it.

Question H: This question asks to rank the genes in the order of their transfer (screenshot attached) but I don't know which plate refers to which gene!

Here's more information should you need it:

An Hfr strain with the genotype cys+ leu+ met+ strS is mated with an F− strain carrying the genotype cys− leu −met− strR . In an interrupted mating experiment, small samples of the conjugating bacteria are withdrawn every 3 minutes for 30 minutes. The withdrawn cells are shaken vigorously to stop conjugation and then placed on three different selection media, composed as follows:
Medium 1: Minimal medium plus leucine, methionine, and streptomycin (Cys = donor)
Medium 2: Minimal medium plus cysteine, methionine, and streptomycin (Leu = donor)
Medium 3: Minimal medium plus cysteine, leucine, and streptomycin (Met = donor)

Part I
Suppose a fourth selection medium containing leucine and streptomycin is prepared. At what sampling time do you expect the first-growing colonies to appear?
sampling time = ___ min

If you can help I would really appreciate it!!  Crying Face Kitty
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 6277 times
13 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Not in front of my PC @ the moment, but when I get home (prior to midnight), I will attempt to answer. But in the mean time, put down what you've done so far...
wrote...
9 years ago
Okay so I know that the genes that are closer together have a higher frequency of being transported together. So genotypes that have those genes will be seen the fastest in the interrupted mating experiment.

If (not sure this is right) I'm basing the genotypes of the donors (found earlier in questions A-F), Medium 1s donor is Cys, Medium 2's donor Leu and Medium 3's donor Met then shouldn't the order be Cys Rightwards Arrow Met Rightwards Arrow Leu? (At first I submitted Met Rightwards Arrow Leu Rightwards Arrow Cys but after staring at it for numerous hours, I'm pretty sure I meant Cys-Met-Leu and just read it to myself completely screwed up).

Other than all of that, I have NFC. And for question I, I just don't know how to do it.  Crying Face Confounded Face Crying Face
wrote...
9 years ago
A)

basically all the factors--- cys met leu and str are markers.

secondly,

Medium 1: Minimal medium plus leucine, methionine, and streptomycin

in this, leucine and methionine is already present. So bacterias not carrying these genes will get these nutrients from medium.

str, is bactercidal.so str+ are str resistant.

this means Cystine gene must be compulsorily present, then since leu and met is prst in medium itself no need for that gene and str should also be prst or else bacteria will die.

shortly

cys+ leu- met- str+

i.e. H
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
A- cystine

B-leucine

C-methionine

D-all that have cys+

E-all that have leu+

F-all that have met+

G- to ensure only exconjugate and not donor bacteria will grow on the media
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
All Cys+ & str+ strain will grow in the 1st medium.Slight Smile
kelv769
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, darwincalledit
A)

basically all the factors--- cys met leu and str are markers.

secondly,

Medium 1: Minimal medium plus leucine, methionine, and streptomycin

in this, leucine and methionine is already present. So bacterias not carrying these genes will get these nutrients from medium.

str, is bactercidal.so str+ are str resistant.

this means Cystine gene must be compulsorily present, then since leu and met is prst in medium itself no need for that gene and str should also be prst or else bacteria will die.

shortly

cys+ leu- met- str+

i.e. H
Thank you!
A- cystine

B-leucine

C-methionine

D-all that have cys+

E-all that have leu+

F-all that have met+

G- to ensure only exconjugate and not donor bacteria will grow on the media
Thank you!! I had these done forever ago hahaha! I actually need help with parts H and I Frowning Face
All Cys+ & str+ strain will grow in the 1st medium.Slight Smile
Thank you!
Post Merge: 9 years ago

These are the answers should anyone need them.  Pouting Face
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
9 years ago
That sucks dude. But thanks for the update.
wrote...
9 years ago
Thanks
wrote...
9 years ago
Thanks!
maa
wrote...
9 years ago
thanks very much
wrote...
9 years ago
Thank you
wrote...
9 years ago
whats g and f?
wrote...
9 years ago
Thank you
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1031 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion