s
b
j
u
Frank_Baker Frank_Baker
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
http://www.nature.com/news/vaccine-hope-for-tasmanian-devil-tumour-disease-1.12576

This shouldn't be too surprising that mutant DNA acts a lot like a ravenous virus, as viruses themselves merely contain RNA or DNA which are in themselves infectious, further substantiated by the above article.

It makes you think, why cancer rates are rising, well to answer that question you could ask why flu rates are higher in denser communities.
Read 437 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
Hmm...this is something to think about. But if it were contagious, wouldn't most healthcare workers get it? I think the reason why the number of people diagnosed with cancer is increasing has to do with lifestyle changes and ofcourse food. Like someone said, we are not eating food, but food like products.
Have you noticed how the number of cancer is low in third world countries compared to the western and developed ones? I think it has to do with eating organic food, mostly in my humble opinion.
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
10 years ago
I agree.

But 1/3 of people will contract cancer in their lifetime.
Rabies can have an incubation period for years in some cases, so those healthcare workers could be retired before the infection becomes non-latent.

DNA is not exactly a virus but infects in a way similar to a virus so it could probably remain latent.
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Cancer is generally not contagious. However, there are known cases where the cancer is transmitted (like the example above), mainly in animals, and very rarely in humans.

Transmission from person to person is so extremely rare, that it is not very likely to be causing, even a small increase of cancer patients.
(Of course, there are viruses that can be transmitted and could cause cancer. This however is not a direct transmission of cancer).

But, the existence of contagious cancer in mammals, means that, it is not totally impossible that it might be a threat to humans in the future.

Have you noticed how the number of cancer is low in third world countries compared to the western and developed ones? I think it has to do with eating organic food, mostly in my humble opinion.
There are so many differences between the life of a person living in a third world country and a person living, for example in America that you can't compare them so easily.

For example, the average lifespan is very different. Older people are more likely to get cancer. In addition, people who live longer have statistically more probabilities of getting cancer. This means that, in an underdeveloped countries, cancer should be more rare.

In addition, people with cancer may survive in developed countries (because of increased medical care), while in underdeveloped countries more people die because of cancer. This means that, in underdeveloped countries, people with cancer have much less probabilities of transmitting their genes to descendants.
And there might be more.

Of course, lifestyle should also play a role, but it is hard to determine that without a proper research.
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
It's only contagious to your own bodies other organs, if you know what I mean. Cancer is known to metastasize, or 'infect'/spread other parts of your body.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1152 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 587