t
m
p
m
Sbljml Sbljml
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
A water sample from the botton of Lake Nyos contains 8.5% of carbon dioxide by mass.  Determine how much carbon dioxide in grams is contained in 28.6 L of the water solution.

I know I have 8.5% of CO2 by Mass, 28.6 L of solution, and need to find the g of CO2.

The sample shows that the density= 1.03 g/ml.

How did they get the denisty?
Read 1226 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Since gases are mostly empty space, the densities of gases are reported in g/L, not g/mL as found for solids and liquids. As you’re probably aware, density is equal to mass per unit of volume. To calculate the density of a gas at standard temperature and pressure, you take the molecular formula weight of the gas (grams per mole—from the periodic table) and divide that by the standard molar volume for a gas, which is 22.4 L per mole:

where the formula weight (FW) is in g/mol, and the standard molar volume is 22.4 L/mol.
wrote...
12 years ago
you need to use the density formula to solve this problem. D=M/V (M = Mass and V = Volume) Since you are given percentage of CO2 you need to multiple by the molecular weight of CO2 which is 44 by 8.5%. This would be your mass of CO2. Then simply divide this number by volume given. This would give you the answer.
Sbljml Author
wrote...
12 years ago
The sample problem tells me that the density is 1.03 g/mL and I have no idea how to get to that.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  950 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion