t
i
r
tee tee
wrote...
Donated
Rep: 8 0
12 years ago
Can someone please help me or point me in the right direction. Willing to donate!! Wink

A strain of E. coli carries a substitution mutation causing the terminator codon 5’-UAG-3’ to occur at an interior position in a particular type of mRNA.  This strain also carries a suppressor mutation that alters the anti-codon of a type of tRNA molecule so that it reads 3’-AUC-5’.  This type of tRNA reads this terminator codon and inserts the amino acid tyrosine.
a.   What effect would the presence of both of these mutations together have on the polypeptide translated from the mRNA carrying the mutant terminator codon?
b.   Do you expect that there might be other genes whose translation would be altered by the presence of the tRNA produced by this suppressor gene?  If so, describe the circumstances under which translation would be altered and explain how it would be altered.
Read 2781 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Usually UAG causes the protein to stop being made. But in this case, since there is a tRNA that recognized this codon and will deliver the amino acid tyrosine, what would happen in a) is that the mRNA with the internal stop codon could actually make a full lenght protein, instead of being terminated early at the UAG. If the mutant tRNA binds the UAG, instead of a termination factor, then the protein will continue being made with a tyr inserted as the amino acid in this spot (I don't know what the original aa would have been from the info provided - I'm assuming it would be a change of an aa from what was there originally)

b The bacteria would face a bigger problem, b/c this mutant tRNA can also interact with the stop codon UAG when found as it is usually at the end of every mRNA. If this occurred, you would end up with longer than usual protiens (extra aa's being added to the end) and many of these will be non-functional.
wrote...
12 years ago
Some polypeptides have would a Trp in the place of the original amino acid. (other polypeptides would remain shortened depending whether or not they were made with a mutant tRNA-trp molecule or not).

What effect would the presence of the mutated tRNA molecule have on the synthesis of other polypeptides?

Some other polypeptides that use UAG as their stop codon will now have Trp instead of stopping, and thus will also be longer. Assays carried out on the strain of bacteria described above show that in addition to the mutant tyrosine (above you have a trp mutation not a tyr mutation)-tRNA carrying the anticodon 3 AUC 5, there is a wild type tyrosine tRNA which carries the normal anticodon 3 AUG 5.

Can the same gene be producing both of these type of tyrosine tRNA? Explain why or why not.

No, but redundant genes (2 or more genes that code for the same thing/type of thing-in this case type of tRNA) could be working here.

If most of the various kinds of mRNA molecules produced in the cell ending with the stop codon 5 AUG 3 (should be UAG) are found to be translated correctly, what would you conclude about the relative amount of mutant tyrosine-tRNA in the cell?

There are not very many mutant tyrosine-tRNAs in the cell.
tee Author
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago
Thank you Very much both for your Help  Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1397 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion