× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
rphrph8 rphrph8
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
We got an unknown acid. mass of unknown acid is 0.208g. Volume of standardized base used is 7.08ml which I got from final buret reading - initial. The given base is 5N NaOH.

I need help figuring out:
1. the molarity of standardized base solution?
I think it is 5M because it's 1:1 ratio of NaOH to OH- ions.  So 5N is equal to 5M. Not sure if correct.  

2. Mole of base consumed? Once I get Molarity then I can multiply molarity with volume in liters. . Correct?

3. Mole of acid?
4. Molecular weight of unknown acid?

Been struggling and can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks in advanced.  
Read 784 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, ortho2122
1) and 2) are correct; normality is based on the number of equivalents - in this case acid or base - per formula weight. You can't say much about 3) or 4) without more information. All you can really determine is the number of acid equivalents there were in .208 g of material. You need to know at least a composition of the unknown to calculate an estimate of the MW.
Post Merge: 9 years ago

I take that back a little...if you can assume that the acid was mono-protic (or di-protic, etc.) and you know the total volume of everything (unknown + water (if used to dissolve the unknown) + NaOH solution added), then you can estimate the molecular weight.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1245 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741