× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
killerkenzie killerkenzie
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Hello! A question on my homework quiz is

What is the difference between a monohybrid cross and a dihybrid cross?  What information can be obtained through a dihybrid cross that cannot be obtained through a monohybrid cross?

I know that the difference between the two are that a dihybrid cross involves organisms that are heterozygous for two characters and a monohybrid only one. But I am not sure about the second question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Read 594 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
In contrast to a monohybrid cross, a dihybrid cross is a cross between F1 offspring (first-generation offspring) of two individuals that differ in two traits of particular interest. For example: RRyy/rrYY or RRYY/rryy parents result in F1 offspring that are heterozygous for both R and Y (RrYy).

The rules of meiosis, as they apply to the dihybrid, are codified in Mendel's first law and Mendel's second law, which are also called the Law of Segregation and the Law of Independent Assortment, respectively.

For genes on separate chromosomes, each allele pair shows independent segregation. If the first filial generation (F1 generation) produces four identical offspring, the second filial generation, which occurs by crossing the members of the first filial generation, shows a phenotypic (appearance) ratio of 9:3:3:1.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1255 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352