j
J
s
n
L
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
9 years ago
"Remember when Grandma would say, “Rain’s coming, and I can feel it in my joints?” She actually knew this because of what happens to our bodies when the barometric pressure changes.

That means that the pressure against your body drops as well, and your joints and areas that are injured can begin to swell. This swelling causes increased inflammation, and we require hormones to deal with this increased activity in our bodies. Increased use of these hormones can cause depletion of them, too. Our body is not a bottomless pit when it comes to its defense systems. "

Ref : http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2009/04/30/why-does-pain-get-worse-when-a-storm-is-coming/

I don't understand this statement, and would like to know more clearly on how changing barometric pressure make Grandma's joints swelling.  

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is going on ?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Read 1706 times
20 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
Changes in barometric pressure and temperature may increase stiffness in the joints and trigger subtle movements that heighten a nociceptive response. Such alteration of structure may be particularly problematic in inflammatory joints whose sensitized nociceptors are affected by movement. Change in barometric pressure may also cause a transient "disequilibrium" in body pressure that may sensitize nerve endings and account for increased pain preceding changes in temperature or humidity.

Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
9 years ago
Blood pressure is controlled partly by the nervous system, so its possible that changes in barometric pressure are triggering some type of neurological response that affects your BP, but this is pure speculation. Its a well-known phenomenon that changing barometric pressure has physiological effects on many people, but the reason is unknown. Arthritic pain and migraine headaches are two well-known examples. The physiological effects are not a direct effect of pressure - its something more complex.
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
So you're suggesting it's psychosomatic?
Tralalalala Slight Smile
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Changes in barometric pressure and temperature may increase stiffness in the joints and trigger subtle movements that heighten a nociceptive response. Such alteration of structure may be particularly problematic in inflammatory joints whose sensitized nociceptors are affected by movement. Change in barometric pressure may also cause a transient "disequilibrium" in body pressure that may sensitize nerve endings and account for increased pain preceding changes in temperature or humidity.

I would like to know on whether joints become stiffness on falling barometric pressure or on rising barometric pressure, and what happens to our bodies under 2 different situations: falling and rising barometric pressure.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions :>

wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, padre
I would like to know on whether joints become stiffness on falling barometric pressure or on rising barometric pressure, and what happens to our bodies under 2 different situations: falling and rising barometric pressure.

I just can't seem to find any useful scientific information that relates pressure and joint pain Confounded Face

I found this article, but there is no scientific basis to it (nothing has been proven)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3961431
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
Also, read this:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/resources/safety/2005-02-21-health-pressure_x.htm

And watch this:

http://www.sharecare.com/health/environment-bones-joints/does-barometric-pressure-affect-joints
Tralalalala Slight Smile
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago

"A drop in barometric pressure can loosen joints, which can make a problem joint worse and lead to increased pain. Watch as Dr. Oz talks about the weather and joint pain. "

I would like to know on why loosen joints leads to increased pain,

wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
Joints are made up of five classes of tissues, such as bone, cartilage, synovium, synovial fluid, and tensile tissues composed of tendons and ligaments.

That said, I'd think of joints like a sponge. If you put a sponge in an absolute vacuum, it will expand.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Joints are made up of five classes of tissues, such as bone, cartilage, synovium, synovial fluid, and tensile tissues composed of tendons and ligaments.

That said, I'd think of joints like a sponge. If you put a sponge in an absolute vacuum, it will expand.

There is air between joint, if you try to exercise your joint, sometimes, it generates a pop sound.
Do you have any suggestions where the pop sound comes from?

Furthermore, do our muscle or blood vessels contain air? and how do lower pressure effect on our muscle and blood vessels? Do we feel any pain in those area?

wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, padre
Do you have any suggestions where the pop sound comes from? Furthermore, do our muscle or blood vessels contain air? and how do lower pressure effect on our muscle and blood vessels? Do we feel any pain in those area?

Good video, right to the point.

Tralalalala Slight Smile
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago
That is a very good video. I would like to know more on where the air come from, does the air come from blood? Furthermore, if the joint is filled with fluid instead of air, would it be better in design?

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions :>
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
I would like to know more on where the air come from, does the air come from blood?

I would assume that it diffuses through the bloodstream.

Furthermore, if the joint is filled with fluid instead of air, would it be better in design?

Fluid would make you more rigid.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago
This experiment is real, today the barometric pressure is lower than less week, and my finger's joint feel little pain, which could be caused by lower pressure.

I feel the the joint is rigid, so it seems my personal barometer.  lol

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to reduce the pressure between joints?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  918 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?