× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
beauknows beauknows
wrote...
13 years ago
Hey guys! For this I need some help with these questions, all help is appreciated and I'm so thankful for the help I'll be getting Smiling Face with Open Mouth!

Form a discussion forum on 3 of the 4 topics listed below.  In your discussion give your opinion and any relevant research on each topic. Read the opinions of your classmates and engage in dialogue with your classmates on each topic.

Discussion topics:

Corporations that have patented genetically modified (GM) seeds legally require farmers to buy new seeds from them each planting season. Corporations that find GM crops on a farm that did not purchase their seed can take the farmer to court. However, natural processes such as cross-pollination can result in the migration of GM crops to neighbouring farms.  Should private companies be able to patent life forms, including genetic material?  Why or why not?

Who owns and controls our personal genetic information? Who should have access to our personal genetic information and decide how it will be used?

Modern biotechnologies, such as selective breeding, are regulated under Health Canada’s Food and Drugs Act and the Canadian Environmental Protection Act. It is an ongoing challenge to ensure that our regulations keep up with advances in scientific knowledge and technologies, as well as with developments in other countries. Why was bovine growth hormone approved for use in dairy cattle in the United States but not in Canada? Why does Mexico have laws to limit the cultivation of genetically modified corn?  What is your opinion on Canada’s regulation on the above?

What are the ethical implications of reproductive technologies that: allow postmenopausal women to conceive; and the storing of fertilized embryos?  Give your opinion.

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE! If you want, feel free the message me for anything Smiling Face with Open Mouth!
- Beau.
Read 2141 times
9 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
13 years ago
There are no fast ethical concerns with permitting a postmenopausal female to conceive – at encounter value, you’re just giving fertility to a sterile man or woman. Not only is there nothing wrong with that – that would be a miraculous breakthrough for several individuals who want to have children, but physically can’t.

Where ethical concerns may come up would arrive from specific limitations with the technology, not from the imagined experiment of a menopausal females getting in a position to be fertile. For instance, it really is nicely identified that females who are very shut to menopause who have youngsters introduce severely inflated genetic chance to those young children. So if the know-how permitted postmenopausal women to conceive, but youngsters conceived by that technologies had been topic to immense threat of genetic disease, then that would be an ethical problem. Or, for instance, if the know-how relied upon the introduction of uncommon hormones, and these hormones had detrimental wellness effects about time on the woman taking them, then that could be an ethical issue – presenting desperate women with the guarantee of fertility, but at the expense of their health.

Like any biological technologies, side-results and imperfections could easily consequence in ethical concerns, but there’s certainly nothing at all ethically incorrect with giving fertility to a individual who would otherwise be sterile.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
There are no fast ethical concerns with permitting a postmenopausal female to conceive – at encounter value, you’re just giving fertility to a sterile man or woman. Not only is there nothing wrong with that – that would be a miraculous breakthrough for several individuals who want to have children, but physically can’t.

Where ethical concerns may come up would arrive from specific limitations with the technology, not from the imagined experiment of a menopausal females getting in a position to be fertile. For instance, it really is nicely identified that females who are very shut to menopause who have youngsters introduce severely inflated genetic chance to those young children. So if the know-how permitted postmenopausal women to conceive, but youngsters conceived by that technologies had been topic to immense threat of genetic disease, then that would be an ethical problem. Or, for instance, if the know-how relied upon the introduction of uncommon hormones, and these hormones had detrimental wellness effects about time on the woman taking them, then that could be an ethical issue – presenting desperate women with the guarantee of fertility, but at the expense of their health.

Like any biological technologies, side-results and imperfections could easily consequence in ethical concerns, but there’s certainly nothing at all ethically incorrect with giving fertility to a individual who would otherwise be sterile.

So you're saying women should have the right? I listened to an interview about this and wrote my ideas down a while ago. Hopefully they can somewhat help you out Beau.

This interview discusses how a 60-year-old Canadian woman, Ranjit Hayer, went to India to get in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment after she was denied access to it in Canada. The main predicament encircling this radio discussion is that with technology, we can do so much, but should we do what may seem unmeritable in nature’s perspective just because we can do it? In other words, is it ethi-cally acceptable to help a 60-year-old woman get pregnant if it is possible?

To answer this question, Eike Kluge provides the listeners with several intriguing arguments. To start, he mentions the importance of a physician-patient relation, a practice that is central to medicine and is essential for the delivery of proper health care. Generally, it is this relationship that upholds the patients’ dignity, safety, and their privacy. Thus, is it ethical for a doctor to put the patient at risk? In order for a doctor to answer this question, he/she must have a firm understanding of the situation and restrain from using anecdotal evidence that may influence the woman’s choice. Eike mentions that 50-80% of post menopausal pregnancies result in a c-section and he remarks that there is a definite guarantee the baby will be born prematurely. By the tone of his voice, it seemed quite clear that Eike opposed Ranjit’s choice and he explicitly states that technology should be used to solve problems, not to create problems. In fact, he even denounces this particular situation as a possible vanity issue; in other words, Ranjit is acting selfishly according to her individual will – egoism. I tend to agree with this notion because she is not taking into consideration that her decision to give birth may endanger the babies’ survival if they are born prematurely. Eike mentions that if the function of health care is to deal with problems that arise in the normal cause of events, then the cut off should be post-menopausal. Thus, he believes that everyone should be entitled to positive rights; however, since menopause is not a medical disease, it should not apply – Deontology. Moreover, at the age of 60, the ability to make decisions, known as executive function, and attention begin to decline. Consequently, a doctor must keep these points in mind when consulting with women who desire IVF treatment during their post-menopausal years.

Michael Gordon maintained the idea that since Canada is multivariate society, age alone should not be the overriding factor when considering this situation. He also supports the belief that women should act in their own self-interest – ethical egoism. Elaborating on Eike’s position, Carolyn McLeod mentions that there is a profound risk to the mother, and also to the child, the likelihood that the child will be deprived of a relationship with his/her parents before the child is independent. This can be true on many different levels. For instance, if the parents were to fall ill anytime before the baby becomes an adult, who will the child depend on? Likewise, if the parents were to fall ill and die, the child would become an orphan. Hence, they are almost guaranteed to lose their mother or father by the time they become adults. This couple must understand that they may not live to see the day their child graduates from high school, gets married, or has children? I feel that this is the reason why humans are designed to have biological clocks; menopause should be the cut-off date, whether it happens at 40, 50, or 60 years of age. I am sure this woman contemplated all these circumstances, but as Eike mentioned, it was likely more a vanity issue than anything. Recall that Ranjit tried for decades to have a child, enduring multiple miscarriages and surgery before she decided to seek fertility treatment. It was as if she was trying to prove something to herself or her family without thinking of the consequences – egotistic. This woman’s eccentric behaviour, in addition to her husband’s unwise support, will put an increased strain on the health care system and cost Canadian taxpayers thousands of dollars. In the grand scheme of things, I think that India offered this woman IVF, as a form of propaganda; that is, to show the world that they are medically capable to perform even the most difficult of tasks in order to attract new customers around the world.
beauknows Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Star, I'm sorry, but what question's did you answer, or is that only one answer to one question?
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
13 years ago
I think that was for

What are the ethical implications of reproductive technologies that: allow postmenopausal women to conceive;

My opinion is far simpler than yours bio_man. The oldest woman to have given birth was 70 her husband was 72. She has never recovered from the pregnancy and childbirth and is now dying – the child is 3. The husband’s health has now deteriorated. The woman who gave birth to a set of twins at 63 died at 66. Her brother is now raising those children. Another woman gave birth to 2 children when she was past 60. Both pregnancies seriously affected her health and she has now suffered irreversible blindness due to diabetes. Her diabetes became brittle when pregnant. Yes, people have a right to procreate- but we as society have a right to set limits. One of those rights should be the rights of the children to have parents to raise them.

wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago
Corporations that have patented genetically modified (GM) seeds legally require farmers to buy new seeds from them each planting season. Corporations that find GM crops on a farm that did not purchase their seed can take the farmer to court. However, natural processes such as cross-pollination can result in the migration of GM crops to neighbouring farms.  Should private companies be able to patent life forms, including genetic material?  Why or why not?

I think any farmer that uses patented products (seeds) by companies such as Monsanto, should give credit to the actual company because there is a lot of research being put into making these genetically modified products. But, if the seeds migrate to the farmers field, he/she shouldn't be held responsible for using these products because really there is no control of how the seeds move around.
wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago
But, I would be pretty concerned if I was an organic farmer and I found genetically modified products growing in my crop Thumbs Down Sign
wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago

Mother nature didn't "make a mistake". Older women are unable to have babies for good solid reasons which protect the interests of the child or children.
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Hi beauknows,

in terms of the genetically modified question, talk about the following and how it could impact a persons organic or non-genetically modified farm due to the dispersal of GM seeds.

Recently, Bt-corn made the news when it was discovered that some flour made from a variety of Bt-corn plants had been accidentally introduced into some human food items. Bt-corn has been genetically modified with a gene from the bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis. The gene codes for a protein that is then produced within the plant tissues and is toxic to corn borers, thus providing resistance to the pest without the spraying of pesticides. This particular variety of corn is not to be consumed by humans—it is to be fed to livestock or processed into fuel.

Farmers who want to plant GMOs for increased food production must every year pay companies from which they purchase seed, since the seeds have often been changed so that mature plants will not reseed themselves. Farmers accustomed to having seeds last several seasons may not expect or be able to afford to pay yearly, especially poor farmers in countries struggling to stabilize their economies or repay huge debts to international funding agencies.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
jack Author
wrote...
13 years ago
I loved the questions they were very well framed

If you have more questions please post them so we can help you
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  856 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 423

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?