m
p
m
f
rylie4.4 rylie4.4
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A body is oscillating up and down at the end of a spring. Let's consider when the body is at the top of its up and down motion. Two cars crash head on. At any given time during the crash, the magnitudes of the collision forces exerted on each car are exactly equal. This is an example of Newton's
 a. first law c. third law
  b. second law d. no law

[Ques. 2] Why is hydrogen used as the target for proton collisions?
 a. Because of its low cost and great abundance.
  b. Because having only one electron in the way makes hydrogen's protons more accessible for collisions.
  c. Because there are so many neutrons in the hydrogen nucleus.
  d. Because hydrogen is the closest attainable thing to a target of pure protons.
  e. Because hydrogen contains no protons.

[Ques. 3] A body is oscillating up and down at the end of a spring. Let's consider when the body is at the top of its up and down motion. The velocity
 a. is zero c. points up
  b. has its largest magnitude d. points down

[Ques. 4] What is the main obstacle for alpha particles encounter in penetrating nuclei?
 a. The negative charge of the nucleus.
  b. The positive charge of the nucleus.
  c. The hard shell of the nucleus.
  d. The Pauli exclusion principle.
  e. The negative charge of the alpha particle.

[Ques. 5] For this situation, I push on a heavy chair. Suppose I push very hard on the chair, and this time the both the chair moves and I slip backward as well. Then the strength of the force the chair exerts on me is
 a. less than the force I exert on the chair
  b. equal to the force I exert on the chair
  c. greater than the force I exert on the chair
  d. zero

[Ques. 6] What shows directly that there is a nuclear force?
 a. The fact that electrons congregate around the nucleus.
  b. The fact that nuclei can lose nucleons.
  c. The relatively large mass of protons and neutrons compared to the electrons.
  d. The fact that electrons can change shells around the nucleus.
  e. The fact that so many nuclei are stable and hold together despite the repulsion between their positive charges.

[Ques. 7] For this situation, I push on a heavy chair. Suppose I push moderately on the chair, and this time the chair does move. Then the strength of the force the chair exerts on me is
  d. zero

[Ques. 8] The principle of operation of a Geiger counter is:
 a. Radiation strikes the metal coating of the Geiger tube, causing a clicking sound on impact that is amplified.
  b. Radiation ionizes a gas and triggers an avalanche effect of ion generation that allows a current to flow.
  c. Radiation is bounced back and forth from the sides of the Geiger tube, producing a signal each time it strikes the walls.
  d. Radiation strikes fluorescent material coating the insides of the tube, and a photoelectric cell detects the flashes of light that result.
  e. Radiation produces a visible track inside the Geiger tube, which is detected by a photocell.

[Ques. 9] For this situation, I push on a heavy chair. Suppose I push lightly on the chair, and the chair doesn't move at all. Then the strength of the force the chair exerts on me is
  d. zero

[Ques. 10] What of these is the largest contributor to the average annual radiation dose? (See Table 25-5 for relevant data.)
 a. Exposure during medical procedures.
  b. Radioactive isotopes of potassium in our bodies.
  c. Cosmic rays.
  d. Radon.
  e. Nuclear power.
Read 29 times
3 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
pattiegalvezpattiegalvez
wrote...
Rep: 4 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free