y
t
k
j
fayez_83 fayez_83
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
After teaching a client who is recovering from pancreas transplantation, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a need for additional education?

a. If I develop an infection, I should stop taking my corticosteroid.
  b. If I have pain over the transplant site, I will call the surgeon immediately.
  c. I should avoid people who are ill or who have an infection.
  d. I should take my cyclosporine exactly the way I was taught.

Question 2

A nurse cares for a client who is diagnosed with acute rejection 2 months after receiving a simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplant. The client states, I was doing so well with my new organs, and the thought of having to go back to living on hemodialysis

and taking insulin is so depressing. How should the nurse respond?
  a.
  Following the drug regimen more closely would have prevented this.
  b.
  One acute rejection episode does not mean that you will lose the new organs.
  c.
  Dialysis is a viable treatment option for you and may save your life.
  d.
  Since you are on the national registry, you can receive a second transplantation.

Question 3

A nurse teaches a client with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Which statement should the nurse include in this client's teaching to decrease the client's insulin needs?

a. Limit your fluid intake to 2 liters a day.
  b. Animal organ meat is high in insulin.
  c. Limit your carbohydrate intake to 80 grams a day.
  d. Walk at a moderate pace for 1 mile daily.

Question 4

A nurse cares for a client experiencing diabetic ketoacidosis who presents with Kussmaul respirations. Which action should the nurse take?

a. Administration of oxygen via face mask
  b. Intravenous administration of 10 glucose
  c. Implementation of seizure precautions
  d. Administration of intravenous insulin
Read 33 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
The answer to question 1

ANS: A
Immunosuppressive agents should not be stopped without the consultation of the transplantation physician, even if an infection is present. Stopping immunosuppressive therapy endangers the transplanted organ. The other statements are correct. Pain over the graft site may indicate rejection. Anti-rejection drugs cause immunosuppression, and the client should avoid crowds and people who are ill. Changing the routine of anti-rejection medications may cause them to not work optimally.

The answer to question 2

ANS: B
An episode of acute rejection does not automatically mean that the client will lose the transplant. Pharmacologic manipulation of host immune responses at this time can limit damage to the organ and allow the graft to be maintained. The other statements either belittle the client or downplay his or her concerns. The client may not be a candidate for additional organ transplantation.

The answer to question 3

ANS: D
Moderate exercise such as walking helps regulate blood glucose levels on a daily basis and results in lowered insulin requirements for clients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Restricting fluids and eating organ meats will not reduce insulin needs. People with diabetes need at least 130 grams of carbohydrates each day.

The answer to question 4

ANS: D
The rapid, deep respiratory efforts of Kussmaul respirations are the body's attempt to reduce the acids produced by using fat rather than glucose for fuel. Only the administration of insulin will reduce this type of respiration by assisting glucose to move into cells and to be used for fuel instead of fat. The client who is in ketoacidosis may not experience any respiratory impairment and therefore does not need additional oxygen. Giving the client glucose would be contraindicated. The client does not require seizure precautions.
fayez_83 Author
wrote...
6 years ago
These are correct! Thank you very much!!!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  957 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 300

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?