a
t
i
r
lagreen2323 lagreen2323
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
12 years ago
In a terrestrial vertebrate show the reactions and structures of the fate of the atoms during the complete degradation of methionine to ATP (from the carbon skeleton) and N elimination. You will need to diagram the urea cycle to eliminate the N and the appropriate respiratory reactions to convert the carbon skeletons energy to the energy of ATP. Identify the different cycles or pathways as you go.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Read 2177 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
I've never seen this biochemical pathway before, that's really cool. After searching a little bit, I found this diagram that could help. As you see, there is adenosine mentioned, which is an integral part of ATP. Although mammals cannot synthesize methionine, they can still use it in a variety of biochemical pathways, like the one you mentioned.

Methionine is converted to S-adenosylmethionine (SAM) by (1) methionine adenosyltransferase. SAM serves as a methyl-donor in many (2) methyltransferase reactions, and is converted to S-adenosylhomocysteine (SAH). (3) Adenosylhomocysteinase converts SAH to homocysteine.

Here's another simplified look of it:

- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1255 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion