a
t
i
r
Billcat93 Billcat93
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A home care nurse teaches a caregiver about the care of hearing aids. Which of the following statements, if made by the caregiver, indicates that further teaching is required?

A) I lay a towel over the table while working on them.
  B) I turn off the aid before I change the battery.
  C) I wash the earmold with warm soapy water each week.
  D) I have purchased enough batteries to last a year.

Question 2

After an older adult has had irrigation for removing impacted cerumen, which of the following interventions would be helpful for preventing a recurrence? (Select all that apply.)

A) Ceruminolytic drops as indicated
  B) Cotton-tipped swabs daily
  C) Ear candling monthly
  D) Home oral jet irrigator bimonthly
  E) Examination by the health care provider every 6 to 12 months

Question 3

A nurse teaches an older adult about risks related to ototoxic medications. Which of the following medications should the adult minimize or avoid?

A) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents
  B) Osmotic stool softeners
  C) Over-the-counter sleep aids
  D) Penicillin-type antibiotics

Question 4

The Functional Consequences Theory approach to hearing loss identifies health promotion interventions for promoting hearing wellness. Which of the following interventions will most directly affect auditory health of the older adult?

A) Avoidance of medications
  B) Regular colonics
  C) Smoking cessation
  D) Ear muff use in winter

Question 5

A nurse develops a plan of care for an older adult recently diagnosed with Lewy body dementia. Which functional consequence would be most important to monitor in this older adult?

A) Development of visual hallucinations
  B) A visual acuity score of 20/30
  C) Improved visual acuity after medications for dementia
  D) Growth of cataracts
Read 38 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
Answer to #1

Ans: D
Care of hearing aids includes to keep a fresh battery available but to not purchase batteries more than 1 month in advance. Turn off the hearing aid before changing the battery. Clean the aid weekly, using warm, soapy water for the earmold. And avoid dropping the aid on a hard surface; when handling it, keep it over a soft or padded surface.

Answer to #2

Ans: A, E
Prophylactic use of ceruminolytic agents can reduce the risk of impacted cerumen. Those at high risk for impaction should get an examination by qualified health care provider every 6 to 12 months. Teach all older adults to avoid putting anything smaller than their elbow in their ear: this includes candles, oral jets, and swabs. All of these are potentially harmful to the ear.

Answer to #3

Ans: A
Ototoxic medications include (but are not limited to) aminoglycosides, macrolides, quinolones, and some antifungals (not penicillins), aspirin and other salicylates, as well as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Neither sleep aids nor stool softeners have been implicated in ototoxicity.

Answer to #4

Ans: C
Reviews of studies identified the following risk factors for hearing impairment: male gender, increased age, genetic predisposition, exposure to noise, impacted cerumen, smoking, exposure to secondhand smoke, use of ototoxic medications, education level less than or equal to high school diploma, and certain medical conditions. Colonic use and ear coverage for warmth have not been identified as risk factors to hearing loss.

Answer to #5

Ans: A
Persons with Lewy body dementia are at risk for visual hallucinations. Low vision is 20/70 visual acuity to 20/200 visual acuity. Visual acuity will not improve with dementia medications, as anticholinergics also impair vision. Cataracts are unrelated to Lewy body dementia, although they are common in all older adults.
Billcat93 Author
wrote...
6 years ago
Thank you

Can you answer the others that I've posted too? Face with Cold Sweat
wrote...
6 years ago
I'll take a quick look at them
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1363 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352