c
l
e
s
Snuffle Snuffle
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
An older adult patient who has tuberculosis is being treated with the drugs isoniazid 300 mg daily, rifampin 600 mg daily, and pyrazinamide 1500 mg daily. The nurse stresses the importance that the patient

a. wear tinted glasses when out in the sun.
  b. minimize contact with children younger than 3 years old.
  c. avoid alcohol while on the drug therapy.
  d. eat and drink dairy sparingly.

Question 2

The family members of a dying patient are distressed at the patient's restlessness and lack of sleep. They ask the nurse to just give her something. What response by the nurse is best?

a. Administer a sedative or hypnotic.
  b. Tell the family she'll soon be sleeping enough.
  c. Try nonpharmacologic comfort measures.
  d. Explain that medications are not used in this case.

Question 3

A nurse has provided discharge teaching for an older adult patient who had a pacemaker implanted. Which statement by the patient indicates appropriate understanding of the device?

a. The battery will need charging every 2 years or so.
  b. I'm supposed to call my doctor if my pulse is within 10 beats of my preset rate.
  c. My wife will have to be the one who makes the microwave popcorn.
  d. I'll take my pulse each morning before my first cup of coffee.

Question 4

The nurse observes signs that a patient being assessed may have an underactive thyroid. The data supporting this suspicion includes

a. heat intolerance, low-grade fever, and patchy hair loss.
  b. polycythemia, tachycardia, and oral can-didiasis.
  c. muscle cramps, fatigue, and cold intoler-ance.
  d. increased blood pressure, postural hypo-tension, and blurred vision.

Question 5

The nurse suspects the older adult patient will require diagnostic testing for possible lung cancer when the patient does which of the following? (Select all that apply.)

a. Reports smoking two packs of cigarettes daily
  b. Reports severe chest pain
  c. Loses 10 pounds in 1 month
  d. Takes several naps daily
  e. Locates a palpable lump on the left lateral chest

Question 6

A patient has increased total iron binding capacity and transferrin levels. What action by the nurse is best?

a. Prepare to administer vitamin B12.
  b. Encourage the patient to eat protein.
  c. Ensure the patient gets sun exposure.
  d. Prepare the patient for chelating therapy.

Question 7

An older patient is near the end of life and the family is concerned that the patient has a pressure ulcer because, in their view, this denotes poor care. What explanation by the nurse is best?

a. You're right; we will try harder to care for her.
  b. I'm so sorry this is upsetting for you to see.
  c. We are doing the best we can to care for your loved one.
  d. Age-related changes can make it im-possible to prevent ulcers.

Question 8

Aware that older adult patients often present with nonclassic symptoms of type 2 diabetes mellitus, the nurse is particularly suspicious of a patient reporting

a. bouts of diarrhea alternating with periods of constipation.
  b. recent problems reading and an infected sore on the toe that will not heal.
  c. periods of depression and severe indiges-tion after eating.
  d. dizziness when getting up too quickly and a red rash on the hands.
Read 34 times
2 Replies