a
t
i
r
India_3955 India_3955
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
In some circumstances, sharing bad news via email rather than face-to-face is justified.
  Indicate whether the statement is true or false

Ques. 2

It is important to be able to accept the advantages enjoyed by others and express happiness over the accomplishments of others.

Ques. 3

Conference Hotel Changes You manage a large hotel that is used by organizations and businesses for meetings and conferences. A recent storm has damaged part of your hotel, which means that you have fewer rooms available for meetings. You now have nearly 20 percent fewer guest rooms for conference participants and four less meeting rooms for smaller sessions. You estimate that room repairs will take nearly a month, but the Association of Intercultural Studies is scheduled to arrive for a three-day conference in two weeks and has booked all the rooms. Now there are not enough rooms for the conference. Required: As manager of the hotel, write a letter to the meeting manager for the association. Tell the manager the bad news regarding the damage to the rooms and provide an alternative of using rooms at a nearby hotel.

Ques. 4

Crafting an Effective Claim Request Analyze the following routine claim letter and make needed revisions. Dear Mr. Ortiz: Eight months ago, I purchased the Wireless-G Broadband Router (2.4 GHz), Model No. WRT54G, from your company. After only eight months of use, it no longer works. It quit working while I was in the middle of a huge project, and the delay cost me hundreds of dollars. Since this product came with a year warranty, I am upset that it quit working after less than a year. It must be defective. I have the receipt for purchase and want a replacement immediately. The router problem has already cost me time and money. If I don't receive a replacement or refund immediately, I will not buy your products in the future. Please send a replacement router via express delivery to the address on this letterhead. Thank you.

Ques. 5

Tact requires good judgment, thought, and choosing your words carefully.

Ques. 6

Summarize the guidelines for breaking bad news to employees and the public.
Read 46 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
Answer to #1

T

Answer to #2

T

Answer to #3

Write the letter inductively, beginning with a buffer that leads to the reasons for the bad news.
Use a buffer paragraph to introduce the idea that you are looking forward to the arrival of conference attendees in two weeks. Remind the meeting manager that your hotel has an excellent reputation for quality service and an experienced staff to handle large conferences.
Present the facts about the recent storm and how it affected the local area.
Present the bad news of the damage to the hotel, but emphasize the large number of rooms still available for the meeting. Reassure the meeting manager that your staff is prepared to handle changes and that you have already made alternative arrangements.
Explain that a nearby hotel will accommodate the overflow of guests and meetings. Your hotel will provide a free shuttle and reduced room rates for all attendees.
Close with a positive idea that the conference will be a success and that attendees will enjoy their stay at your reputable hotel.

A proposed solution follows:

Dear Ms. Chastain:

It has been over a year since you contracted our hotel for the annual conference of the Association of Intercultural Studies. In two weeks, your conference participants will arrive and will have the opportunity to enjoy our wonderful cuisine, pool and spa, and luxurious accommodations. You have made a great choice in hotels. As you know, we are one of the most highly rated hotels in the city for providing conference facilities.

We are particularly known for working closely with meeting and event planners to ensure that everything runs smoothly for conferences. Our staff is highly skilled, creative, and can quickly adapt to the frequent changes that come with managing conferences. You now have the best hotel staff in the city ready to make your three-day conference one of the best ever.

You may have heard about the storm that hit our city this week. We, like many other businesses, suffered some damage to rooms. Thanks to our neighboring Hilton Hotel, we can make alternative arrangements. 20 percent of the participants will be provided rooms in the equally luxurious Hilton Hotel. Our discount rate will apply to these rooms. We have had to relocate four of the meeting room conferences to the Hilton Hotel. The shuttle service will be available regularly to transport your participants between the Hilton and our hotel and will run continually during these sessions.

We assure you that we are equipped and ready to provide all the services you may need. Call if you have any questions about these changes. We eagerly await the arrival of the guests from the Association of Intercultural Studies. I think they will love our hotel and enjoy the extra amenities of the Hilton which will be available to everyone.

Sincerely,

Answer to #4

Revise the letter using a positive tone that assumes the router will be replaced since it is still under warranty.

Place the request for replacement in the first sentence. Provide an explanation of the problem with the router. Explain that it is still under warranty.

Avoid using a writer-centered, demanding tone. Assume that the request will receive appropriate action.

End on a positive note, thanking the reader for quickly shipping the replacement.

A proposed solution follows:

Dear Mr. Ortiz:

Please send me a replacement for the Wireless-G Broadband Router (2.4 GHz) Model No. WRT54G that I purchased eight months ago. The product, which came with a one-year warranty, apparently is defective.

A copy of my receipt in enclosed. Please ship the replacement router this week to the address listed at the top of this letterhead. I would appreciate express delivery. I am currently facing several work-related deadlines and need a router as soon as possible to complete my projects.

Because your company is ranked high for quality products and excellent customer service, I anticipate that my request will be processed as quickly as possible. I'm hoping to use the new router next week, if not sooner.

Sincerely,

Answer to #5

T

Answer to #6

The following suggestions provide guidance in breaking bad news to employees and the public:
a . Convey the bad news as soon as possible. Timeliness will minimize damage caused by rumors and will give employees the concern and respect they deserve.
b. Give a complete, rational explanation of the problem. Be candid about what is happening, why, and its effect on employees, customers, and the public. Provide enough detail to establish your credibility and provide context so your audience can understand the situation. Stressing positive aspects will provide needed balance and avoid sugarcoating or minimizing the severity of the news to the point that the message is misunderstood.
c. Show empathy. There is really no good way to break bad news, such as the announcement of layoffs or closures, to employees. The economic downturn and job insecurity has resulted in increased stress for many employees, which raises the potential for workplace aggression. However, methods that reflect respect and proper timing reduce the likelihood of an emotional boil over.
d. Respond to the feelings. Allow people adequate time to react to the bad news. Listen attentively for understanding and then address the concerns, issues, and potential problems presented.
e. Follow-up. Let people know what will happen nextwhat is expected of employees or customers, and what the company will do and when. Plan to repeat your explanations and assurances that you are available to respond to concerns in several communications that extend over a given time.
India_3955 Author
wrote...
6 years ago
Thank you Slight Smile
wrote...
6 years ago
Pleasure
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1353 People Browsing
Related Images