w
j
a
a
courseherod courseherod
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Mr. Coles was pushing two-year-old Myles in a stroller through the mall. Myles was talking to himself saying things like ride train choo choo as they strode past the train ride and play truck when they went past the toy store. This is an example of what type of speech?

a. Holophrases
  b. Telegraphic speech
  c. Complete sentences
  d. Challenge talk

Question 2...

A third grade teacher had a guest storyteller visit the class and then assigned her students to learn a simple story so that they could tell it to the kindergarten class. Afterwards, a parent of one of the students questioned the value of these activities. Which of the following responses is supported by expert opinion in the field of education?

a. The purpose of learning a story is to memorize information and that is the best way to acquire skill with language.
  b. Learning to tell a story is the only way for a child to gain an appreciation for literature.
  c. Learning a story helps children to understand such things as the story's theme, plot sequence, and dialogue. It also builds interest and engages the students.
  d. Even if just one of these children becomes a professional storyteller someday, that is sufficient justification for the assignment.

Question 3...

Ms. Krista believes that it is important for her kindergarten students to engage in loud conversation with one another. Instead of insisting on quiet, she plans opportunities for her students to talk to her and others in the class. She teaches the children the difference between outside voices used on the playground and inside voices used to talk quietly when children are working. These teacher behaviors:

a. Promote a positive talk environment.
  b. Diminish the teacher's authority.
  c. Waste valuable instructional time.
  d. Will lead to behavioral problems.

Question 4...

Two graduate students from Taiwan make an appointment to talk with their son's second grade teacher about his struggles with learning English. The parents want to know what they can do at home to help their son. What advice would be consistent with the research on supporting ELLs?

a. Just concentrate on getting his homework done; both of you are intelligent so he will pick up English easily.
  b. Read and discuss books in both languages and use both languages to talk about everyday activities. I can suggest some online resources also.
  c. I'm sorry, but we don't have a bilingual program in this rural community.
  d. He will just have to learn English on his own. There is no way I can be expected to help with Chinese.

Question 5...

When sharing concerns with parents, you can:

A. Talk to the parent during an Open House.
  B. Send a note home in the child's backpack.
  C. Pin a note to the child's shirt.
  D. Schedule a meeting with the parent.

Question 6...

Ms. Smith reads a predictable big book aloud every day to her three-year-old students to prepare for a nap. She is concerned as she notices many of her students are not listening to the story. To encourage her class to become better listeners she could:

a. Ask whoever isn't listening to the story to go to his or her cot.
  b. Focus children's attention, set a purpose for listening, pause to comment and discuss the book, and get the children to chime in on the familiar parts.
  c. Ask questions at the end and reward those who give the correct response with a token.
  d. Put the children who are not listening into time out and continue reading with the others.

Question 7...

A parent approached her child's teacher and expressed concern about her three-year-old child, London, who was using the incorrect past tense forms of verbs. Some examples of London's speech were: My friend comed over and I drinked all my juice. What is an appropriate response from the teacher?

a. Don't worry; it's just a stage he's going through. He will grow out of it if you correct his mistakes.
  b. This definitely is cause for concern. Your child obviously has some sort of listening problem because he has not heard you use those words, I'm sure.
  c. Your child is having problems with graphophonics and I can recommend some good resources for you to use at home.
  d. This is a common characteristic in young children's speech. It is evidence that they have learned the rule that the past tense of verbs is formed by adding ed; it just happens that these are irregular verbs.
Read 309 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
dannie5846dannie5846
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free