t
i
r
r
johnnybagggs johnnybagggs
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
The gene for red hair is a recessive gene. Luke has red hair, but neither of his biological parents has red hair. Given this information, we can reasonably guess that:

a. Luke's father has a red-hair gene, but his mother doesn't.
  b. Luke's mother has a red-hair gene, but his father doesn't.
  c. Each of his parents has one (but only one) red-hair gene.
  d. Neither of his parents has a red-hair gene.

Ques. 2

Imagine that you are a beginning teacher and learn that your new class of students will include a pair of monozygotic twins. You should expect that:

a. You may need the advice and guidance of a special educator who works with children who have mild mental retardation.
  b. They will have greater-than-average susceptibility to common illnesses.
  c. They will be noticeably smaller than your other students.
  d. You may initially have trouble telling them apart.

Ques. 3

When 2-month-old Ranan is fussy, his caregivers can often soothe him by playing music. He seems especially partial to Barry White songs, which his mother often played in the last few weeks of her pregnancy. Which one of the following is the most likely explanation of Ranan's partiality to Barry White music?

a. Ranan was able to hear and remember Barry White songs even before he was born.
  b. Barry White has a deep, resonating voice, which male infants (but not female infants) find especially soothing.
  c. The music area of the brain becomes activated in the second week of life, and it shows early preferences for certain styles of music.
  d. Ranan is showing early signs of giftedness, as recognition of music typically doesn't emerge until about six months of age.

Ques. 4

Reproductive cells (sperm in men and ova in women) are different from other human cells in that they:

a. Have an outer coating that can be easily penetrated
  b. Have only half as many chromosomes
  c. Are tadpole-shaped rather than round
  d. Are unaffected by poor nutrition

Ques. 5

Which one of the following statements most accurately describes the effects of a particular gene on a child's development and functioning?

a. A gene's effects depend partly on the child's health and activity levels and on environmental conditions in which the child lives.
  b. A gene is like a computer program that, once started, proceeds through a series of steps to its inevitable conclusion.
  c. A gene is essentially a ticking time bomb that is scheduled to explode at a certain time regardless of other things that might be happening in the body.
  d. Any single gene's impact is highly unpredictable from one individual to the next.

Ques. 6

Children typically have some characteristics not seen in either of their biological parents. Which one of the following is the most common source of these unique characteristics?

a. Some segments of genetic material at the equivalent locations in paired chromosomes cross over, essentially swapping places.
  b. Grandparents or great-grandparents may chemically shield certain genes, with these shields eroding only gradually over several decades.
  c. When certain aspects of the meiosis process are delayed by several weeks, new genetic patterns inevitably emerge.
  d. Certain segments of genetic material erratically and unpredictably leap from their initial chromosome to a very different one, typically as a result of high hormone levels in the mother.

Ques. 7

Twelve-year-old Lacey and her mother are a two-person family. Mother's long-term boyfriend has just moved in with them. What effect will the move have on Lacey?

a. Chances are about 80 that Lacey will be the victim of child abuse.
  b. Lacey will almost certainly show an increase in misbehavior at school.
  c. If Lacey has a warm, loving relationship with him, she will probably adjust well.
  d. When she reaches adulthood, Lacey will probably have trouble forming stable relationships with others.

Ques. 8

Stephanie is a single woman planning to care for a foster child. The girl is 4 years old, and her birth mother has been in and out of treatment for addiction four times in the last 2 years. One of the best ways Stephanie can work toward developing a healthy relationship with the child is to:

a. encourage the child to see her as more stable than her mother was.
  b. enroll the child in preschool for 3 mornings a week.
  c. take a 6-month parenting leave from work.
  d. get specialized training in foster parenting.

Ques. 9

Many children of adolescent mothers do well. On average, however, children of adolescent mothers are at greater risk for three of the following developmental problems. Which one of the following is least likely to be observed in children of adolescent mothers?

a. Delayed walking
  b. Delayed language skills
  c. Lower academic achievement
  d. Less emotional attachment to their mothers

Ques. 10

Which one of the following phrase best describes socialization as developmental theorists typically use the term?

a. Learning and following rules of moral behavior
  b. Molding children's behavior so that it is appropriate for their society
  c. Interaction with other people, especially peers, in enjoyable activities
  d. Acquiring an increasingly complex understanding of interpersonal relationships

Ques. 11

Which one of the following statements reveals a child who is talking about his or her extended family?

a. I have thirteen brothers and sisters, and I love them all
  b. Can I make a Valentine card to send to my grandmother?
  c. I'm going to spend Thanksgiving with my mom and Hanukkah at my dad's house.
  d. After my parents divorced, my dad moved far away, and I hardly ever see him anymore.
Read 56 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
loco123loco123
wrote...
Rep: 6 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free