× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, oem7110
Referring to following images, I would like to know on what wavelength can enter atmosphere from space.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Read 280 times
10 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
This should help you:

All visible light penetrates the atmosphere, most radio light penetrates the atmosphere, and some IR light passes through the atmosphere.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
I would like to know on what range of IR can pass through atmosphere and reach the earth
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
I'm a little confused. The full IR spectrum reaches earth, but a lot of it is reflected by the atmosphere. Are you asking what percentage reaches per unit?
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
Since not all IR can enter atmosphere, I would like to know on what range of IR can enter atmosphere in term of wavelength.
Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
I can't find any literature that outlines a specific "range" within the infrared spectrum. I'd assume the whole range has an equal chance.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, oem7110
I would like to know on how atmosphere bounce off some wavelength to the space, such as X Rays and Gamma Rays, in order to understand the mechanism on why some Infrared Rays cannot reach earth.

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
I think this video might be helpful:

The majority of the atmospheric absorption of energy are water vapor, carbon dioxide, and ozone.

Water Vapor (H2O): Very strong absorber in 5.5-7.0 μm range and > 27 μm.

Carbon Dioxide (CO2): Primarily absorbs in the mid and far (thermal infrared) infrared portions of the spectrum.

Ozone (O3): Absorbs strongly in the UV portion of the spectrum (very short wavelengths).

This doesn't explain it at the atomic level, but gives you an idea which molecules do the reflecting and absorbing...
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago

The majority of the atmospheric absorption of energy are water vapor, carbon dioxide, and ozone.

Water Vapor (H2O): Very strong absorber in 5.5-7.0 μm range and > 27 μm.

Carbon Dioxide (CO2): Primarily absorbs in the mid and far (thermal infrared) infrared portions of the spectrum.

Ozone (O3): Absorbs strongly in the UV portion of the spectrum (very short wavelengths).

This doesn't explain it at the atomic level, but gives you an idea which molecules do the reflecting and absorbing...

When they mention absorption, for H2O, do it mean that 5.5-7.0 μm range and > 27 μm would not reach earth surface? would it be correct?

wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Yes, that's what it means technically
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
Thanks, to everyone very much for suggestions (^v^)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1301 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4