a
t
i
r
r
BioRumor BioRumor
wrote...
13 years ago
My ^*%&^%$& telomeres keep getting shorter and shorter, no matter what i try to do.

I tried injecting a little telomerase reverse transcriptase into each of my cells, but that approach just seems to take FOREVER...

Any ideas?

(this was just a test posting, but if you happen to know the solution, I'd be pretty  darn happy!)
Read 2545 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Hey BioRumor, thanks for joining  Slight Smile

To my understanding, telomeres are segment of DNA that occurs at the ends of chromosomes. I remembered that from 2nd year cell biology. Similarly, after every cellular replication, telomeres shorten, but to prevent damage, we have telomerases to increase their length. They can do this because telomerases have an RNA copy of their own to create repeating units of more DNA.

If you're doing thing in vitro make sure your have the correct temperature settings and right amount of enzymes. Moreover, doesn't it also depend on the RNA sequence found on the telomerase enzyme itself, perhaps it doesn't correspond to the DNA sequence? Neutral Face

wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, duddy
Moreover, doesn't it also depend on the RNA sequence found on the telomerase enzyme itself, perhaps it doesn't correspond to the DNA sequence? Neutral Face

bio_man, telomerase is a widely conserved enzyme so I don't think that would be the case

BioRumor, this may be of some help to you, read the attachment (I highlighted some key areas for you)

Concise Review: Telomere Biology in Normal and Leukemic Hematopoietic Stem Cells
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
13 years ago
So what ended up happening with your experiment?
B.Sc. (Biology)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1243 People Browsing
 125 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352