r
Sportchick94 Sportchick94
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
4 years ago
Help with homework problems. Screen shot attached. Thank you
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 184 times
13 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
@Sportchick94 Mind copy-pasting the question?

I'll take a look at in a bit
wrote...
Staff Member
4 years ago
@Sportchick94 Mind copy-pasting the question? I'll take a look at in a bit

Where needed, round answers to 2 decimal places.

Upon submitting your answers, you will see step-by-step instructions on how to answer each problem so you can check your work.

A researcher studying genetic influences on learning compares the maze performance of four genetically different strains of mice, using eight mice per strain. Performance for the four strains were as follows:

Using the .01 significance level, is there an overall difference in maze performance among the four strains? (a) Use the steps of hypothesis testing; (b) sketch the distributions involved; (c) figure the effect size for the study; (d) Test the significance of planned contrasts using the overall .05 level (with a Bonferroni correction for testing each of the five contrasts) for strain J versus strain M, (e) for strain J versus strain Q, (f) for strain J versus strain W, (g) for strain Q versus strain M, and (h) for strain Q versus strain W.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Thanks... I believe you'll have to perform the ANOVA test. Does your calculator perform these types of calculations? Let's assume it does, you should get the following results, this document should help you get started. I worked on it for 20 minutes, so I hope it helps.
 Attached file 
(402.13 KB)
Sportchick94 Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Thank you so much!! I greatly appreciate the help since statistics is not my strongest
Sportchick94 Author
wrote...
4 years ago
I feel like I am still missing a few steps though
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
For which part?

I left some steps out intentionally because I used a calculator to find the F value and ANOVA data. Is that allowed?
Sportchick94 Author
wrote...
4 years ago
No, I need all the steps if possible. I tried to do it myself, but I got all messed up
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
This one is a lot of work if it's done by hand

Okay, here's another go at it, I've shed for you a little bit more insight. Not sure how to find the Sum of Squares within without having been provided the actual data points. I tried everything to get 503, but I'm just not sure. If I figure the rest out, I'll update the thread.
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
Sportchick94 Author
wrote...
4 years ago
thank you! Still a little confused, but with the information you provided I should be able to implement in some how!
So what is the cutoff? (3.34) and whats the F-ratio?

Too the first uploaded picture you provided with yellow highlights, what does each of those represent? as in abbreviations
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, bio_man
Here's how you're supposed to find everything in that table. My issue still remains with the SS for within, as I don't know how to do it without data points. There is a way, I just don't know how -- this is why the calculator really helped. Once you find it, you can also find F using the formulas below
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
wrote...
Staff Member
4 years ago
To find the source of variation within without data points is easy, for this example you take (n-1) times the standard deviation raised to the power of 2:

\(SS_{within}=\Sigma \left(n-1\right)s^2\)

\(SS_{within}=\left(8-1\right)\left(3.5\right)^2+\left(8-1\right)\left(4.6\right)^2+\left(8-1\right)\left(3.8\right)^2+\left(8-1\right)\left(4.9\right)^2\)

\(SS_{within}=7\left(3.5\right)^2+7\left(4.6\right)^2+7\left(3.8\right)^2+7\left(4.9\right)^2\)

\(SS_{within}=503.02\)

The other ones are easy too:

@bio_man, follow this:
Source  http://digfir-published.macmillanusa.com/psbe4e/psbe4e_ch14_2.html
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Appreciate that Upwards Arrow
Sportchick94 Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Thank you so much!!! You both been a big help and I am very appreciative you both working to help me solve this!!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1256 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?