t
i
r
r
Sportchick94 Sportchick94
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
4 years ago
A social psychologist conducted a study of whether similarity to a potential date (X) predicted attraction to that potential date (Y). The results for four participants follow.

Complete the table
   (UPLOADED SCREEN SHOT. could not copy and paste it correctly)

1. Figure the unstandardized regression coefficient b and the regression constant a
   a=
   b=

2. Write out the linear prediction rule using the regression constant and regression coefficient you figured above

3.  Use the linear prediction rule to figure the predicted attraction to a potential date when similarity to that date (X) is:
   3=
   5=

4. Figure the standardized regression coefficient β.

Read 91 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
Sportchick94 Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Table
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Will work on it tonight, when's this due?
Sportchick94 Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Thank you!! and April 21
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
I noticed you didn't uploaded any instructions like you have before...

I went ahead answered it based on my own knowledge. If you have any questions (or the instructions available), I'll take a look @ them
Source  Helpful resource:

http://janda.org/c10/Lectures/topic04/L25-Modeling.htm
 Attached file 
(570.75 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Sportchick94 Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Thank you!! There was not any instructions besides showing all your work, complete the table, and answer the questions that follow.
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Ok... But are you satisfied with my answer?
wrote...
Staff Member
4 years ago
Just to clear the water, there are two formulas for Pearson's r:

Deviation formula:

r = \(\frac{S_{xy}}{\sqrt{S_{xx}\times S_{yy}}}\) (covariance divided by sqrt of var X and var Y)

Z score formula:

r = \(\frac{1}{n-1}\Sigma \left[Z_xZ_y\right]=\frac{1}{n-1}\Sigma \left[\left(\frac{x-\overline{x}}{SD_x}\right)\left(\frac{y-\overline{y}}{SD_y}\right)\right]\) (n=observations; SD_x is standard deviation or x; SD_y is standard deviation of y)

When we square r \(\left(r^2\right)\), it represents the amount of covariation compared to the amount of total variation. For example, if r=0.8, squaring it gets you 0.64. Then X explains 64% of the variability in Y, and vice versa.

The standard statistic is based on the z-scores, so the statistic will not change if you change the units of x and y.

To find the equation's slope for y = a + bx (where slope is b and a is y-intercept), you use the formula:

b = \(r\left(\frac{SD_y}{SD_x}\right)=\frac{S_{xy}}{SS_x}\)

a = (mean of y's) - b * (mean of x's)

An unstandardized statistic, which is what you're looking for will change if you change the units of X and Y.

What bio_man did was wrong. He found the equation for the standardized regression line using the formulas:

\(Z_Y'=\beta \left(Z_X\right)\)

remember \(Z_X\) = \(\Sigma \left(\frac{x-\overline{x}}{SD_x}\right)\)

where \(\beta =r\)

And no y-intercept for standardized equations

Hope you didn't submit it Confounded Face Confounded Face Confounded Face
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1295 People Browsing
 103 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274