t
i
r
bananas.red bananas.red
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
(a)
A chemist is given three bottles, each containing a pure sample of one of the three complexes, Na3[Co(CN)6], Na3[-Fe(C2O4)3] or Na3[CoF6] (C2O4 represents the bidentate, dianionic oxalato ligand). However, the bottles are not labelled and the chemist is asked to quickly determine which bottle contains which complex by carrying out for each sample measurements involving: (A) visible spectroscopy, (B) magnetic susceptibility and (C) polarimetry (which shows how a solution of the complex interacts with polarised light).

(i) Briefly describe (with justifications) what the chemist would observe while making each of the three measurements, (A) – (C) above, for Na3[Co(CN)6].

(ii) Briefly describe (with justifications) what the chemist would observe while making each of the three measurements, (A) – (C) above, for Na3[-Fe(C2O4)3].

(iii) Briefly describe (with justifications) what the chemist would observe while making each of the three measurements (A) – (C) above For Na3[CoF6].

(iv) Based on the information you described in parts (i) – (iii) above, explain how each of the three complexes could be unambiguously identified.
Read 199 times