a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, oemBiology
I would like to know on what cause higher blood viscosity and what cause blood cell clotting together

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Post Merge: 3 years ago

Referring to following video, I would like to know on following issues:

At 3:41
Physics of Blood Flow
Blood is a non-Newtonian fluid
High velocity = lower viscosity
Low velocity = higher viscosity

Turbulent Flow is damaging to the walls of the blood vessels

Q1) What is causing Turbulent Flow within blood vessels?

Q2) Once plasma is formed on damaging area, that become clotting.
Would this clotting be removed? once damaging area is repaired

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Post Merge: 3 years ago

At 6:03
As shear increases, viscosity descreases
As shear decreases, viscosity increases

At 21:36
Q3) How do blood viscosity and shear relate to inflammatory ?
Read 471 times
12 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
For reference:

Low viscosity means thin
High viscosity means thick

Blood viscosity is maintained at a fairly uniform level in healthy people, and only slight variations occur depending on the food and fluid intake. On the other hand, wide differences from the normal only occur in people with diseased conditions. Many researchers have concluded that no clear connection exists blood pressure and blood viscosity; you can have high blood pressure, and low viscosity or the opposite.

When blood viscosity increases, blood flow decreases (relationship shown below):

Sweating, for example, causes blood to become viscous resulting in dehydration and a decrease in hematocrit. Another cause for changes in viscosity is too much hemoglobin. High hemoglobin causes blood to become viscous, inhibiting the flow of oxygen throughout the body and often causes clots.

What causes blood to coagulate (stick together) are platelet cells found in the blood. Platelet cells that interact with plasma proteins will cause clotting, and there is a connection between high blood viscosity (Hct >50%) and clotting.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 years ago
The main cause to increase blood viscosity is platelet cells, I would like to know on what factors would increase the number of platelet cells within blood vessels.

Would turbulence flow within blood vessels increase platelet cells? because turbulence flow damage the cell wall structures?

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Hi oemBiology

Sorry for the late reply...

The main cause to increase blood viscosity is platelet cells, I would like to know on what factors would increase the number of platelet cells within blood vessels.

Also mentioned in my previous post, food and fluid intake can make slight changes too, but they're not significant changes. For instance, high blood sugar causes blood to become viscous. If your body responds to insulin properly, this is regulated very nicely.

Okay, to answer your question, platelets are the main component that enables clotting, it's not what causes your blood to become viscous. In addition, hemoglobin disorders do too (eating too much red meat), so notice that this only happens in diseased individuals -- it's not normal.

Would turbulence flow within blood vessels increase platelet cells? because turbulence flow damage the cell wall structures?

Just like all blood cells, platelets are made in our bone marrow. Bone marrow contains stem cells that develop into red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. 'Turbulence' isn't what increases platelet cell formation. What causes damage to the cell wall of epithelial cells that surround the inside of the capillaries is high blood pressure, and it gets worse when damage already exists due to poor dieting.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 years ago
I would like to know on how many different common approach to increase blood viscosity:

1) Foods intake : high blood sugar causes blood to become viscous
2) hemoglobin disorders : aging for red blood cells?
3) turbulence flow within blood vessels?
4) other

wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
1) Foods intake : high blood sugar causes blood to become viscous 2) hemoglobin disorders : aging for red blood cells? 3) turbulence flow within blood vessels? 4) other

1) Foods intake: High blood sugar causes blood to become viscous ✔️
2) Hemoglobin disorders : aging for red blood cells? (over-eating red meat or genetically inherited)
3) Turbulence flow within blood vessels? (Atrial valves are weakened, leads to abnormal flow with the heart as blood is being pumped) 
4) Other:

• In the small vessels, the blood viscosity decreases when the vessel radius decreases because red blood cells move to the central part of the vessel
  • Increasing the percentage of red blood cells causes blood viscosity to increase -- blood cancer
  • Sweating profusely during an exercise causes the blood viscosity to decrease temporarily.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
Sweating profusely during an exercise causes the blood viscosity to decrease temporarily.

I would like to know on what substance is actually removed from blood during exercise, in order to decrease blood viscosity.

Furthermore, referring to following video, would turbulent flow within blood vessels increase blood viscosity as well?

At 1:32
As heart works harder, arteries and certain regions of the system are overstretched almost to the point of repture.  The most vulnerable arteries are those located near the heart acting as shock absorbers in the proximal aorta and the arteries feeding the heart ad brain absorb the impact of ejected blood as it is punched into the arterial system by the now forcefully contracting left ventricle these arteries begin to be stretched to their limits arteries and the lower extremities also become over stretched but for a different reason the pool of gravity on the blood in the legs of a person standing upright adds to the already increased pressure in the arterial system to protect themselves from further stretching and possible reture the arteries in these vulnerable regions begin to thicken stiffen and harden in other words they adapt, as the arteries get tougher they become less compliant drastically changing how the blood flows through these regions to continue to maintain life-sustaining perfusion blood flow becomes turbulent.

turbulent flow sets the stage for the initiating event that causes atherosclerosis

End at 2:56

wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
I would like to know on what substance is actually removed from blood during exercise, in order to decrease blood viscosity.

Apologies, I didn't write that correctly.

Water loss from sweating increases blood viscosity - resulting from the same number of RBCs in a lower plasma volume - which increases peripheral resistance and contributes to increased blood pressure.

Sry about that
oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 years ago
For the second part of video, it seems very logic in fluid mechanics on relating turbulent flow to increase blood viscosity.

wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
I agree, from a logical stand point increasing the viscosity should lead to turbulence, BUT there's something really important to consider whereby changes to viscosity occur gradually. Unlike turbulence you'd experience riding an airplane, where a plane flies through a patch of wind suddenly - leading to turbulence - changes that occur in blood viscosity do not occur sudden. They happen gradually, forming a gradient of varying components, so the turbulence within the blood vessels isn't detectable due to viscosity in the same way it's be given a faulty heart valve.

Does that make sense?
oemBiology Author
wrote...
For biomagnetic fluid dynamics on following video, At 2:33, "the magnetic field slowed blood circulation the need for tight clamps would be reduced therefore eliminating damage to blood vessels"

Referring to above statement, without changing blood viscosity, I would like to know on following issues:

1) How do magnetic field slow blood circulation?
2) Do magnetic field cause turbulent flow within blood vessels? which slow blood circulation?
3) What kind of magnetic field is being tested? direct or oscillating magnetic field?

Do you find any related articles on about issues?

wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
When surgery is performed on an individual, doctors have access to the patients capillaries in many cases. Capillaries are so thin that they are a single cell in thickness. Therefore, this technology "promises" to divert blood from these sensitive tissues temporarily while the surgeon works on the patient. They are not designed to work through tissue found on the surface of someone's skin, for example.

1) How do magnetic field slow blood circulation?

Along a thin tube like a capillary, the magnetics presumably interact with hemoglobin, that store in it an iron atom. Iron is a metal is conducts electricity and is attracted to magnets. I'm assuming this is what causes the blood to clot together, only momentarily.

2) Do magnetic field cause turbulent flow within blood vessels? which slow blood circulation?

As discussed previously, turbulence is not caused my magnets.

3) What kind of magnetic field is being tested? direct or oscillating magnetic field?

Direct
oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Thanks, to everyone very much for suggestions (^v^)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  941 People Browsing
Related Images