i
r
r
EyeMan12 EyeMan12
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
Background:

I'm 18, use a computer a lot, often for several hours without a rest because I am either doing school work or gaming. If I use my computer for a lot of hours in a row then my eyes get sore but I assume this is fairly normal. I have recently noticed however that I seem to get sore eyes when using my computer for not that long. It's a bit weird as I can still sometimes use it for a few hours and it not be sore.

I also have noticed that sometimes my eyes hurt after a few hours of using my phone in bed (dark or light). I also sometimes notice my eyes look bloodshot.

Question:

Does it sounds like I might have dry eye?

If I do, is it likeley that it is going to be permenant? I don't think it's that serious at the moment, so may it stilll be reversible at this point?

How come sometimes using a screen for 5 minutes makes my eyes sore, and sometimes using it for 2 hours doesn't?

Is using a computer always going to make it worse, or if you take breaks every 20 minutes etc for 20 seconds etc, will the condition not get worse?

(Also can dry eye make you more sensitive to onions, as recently have started cooking for the first time and have noticed I ma way WAY more sensitive to onions than my parents?)
Read 532 times
18 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, bio_man

No

If I do, is it likeley that it is going to be permenant? I don't think it's that serious at the moment, so may it stilll be reversible at this point?

It's not dry eye, but if it was, it wouldn't be permeant. Only old people get dry eye, assuming you're not 70. On a side note, what video games are you playing?

How come sometimes using a screen for 5 minutes makes my eyes sore, and sometimes using it for 2 hours doesn't?

Your eyes adapt to the color and light intensity over time. Do you get the same feeling when someone suddenly turns the light on at night?

Is using a computer always going to make it worse, or if you take breaks every 20 minutes etc for 20 seconds etc, will the condition not get worse?

Actually taking breaks are recommended. Take a break every 20 minutes for at least a minute. In addition, I recommend you look away whenever you can to reset your eye.

(Also can dry eye make you more sensitive to onions, as recently have started cooking for the first time and have noticed I ma way WAY more sensitive to onions than my parents?)

No, I think that's coincidental, and what I also think is that you're dwelling on this problem, which is causing you to stress about it. Like every habit, eventually you'll forget you even had this 'condition' to begin with.
EyeMan12 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
No
It's not dry eye, but if it was, it wouldn't be permeant. Only old people get dry eye, assuming you're not 70. On a side note, what video games are you playing?

I have read online about quite a few young people's experience with it, is that a different thing, or does it depend on if you are genetically more likely? Can't computer usage cause it?

TBH I was mainly worried as earlier this year and last year I was playing games for a long time every day, as I didn't really have much to do in the last year of high school. Mainly Skyrim and Minecraft.

Your eyes adapt to the color and light intensity over time. Do you get the same feeling when someone suddenly turns the light on at night?
Actually taking breaks are recommended. Take a break every 20 minutes for at least a minute. In addition, I recommend you look away whenever you can to reset your eye.
No, I think that's coincidental, and what I also think is that you're dwelling on this problem, which is causing you to stress about it. Like every habit, eventually you'll forget you even had this 'condition' to begin with.

If you did have dry eye, would it be a lot more consistent? As I seem to get it fairly inconsistently, at least over the last few days.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
I have read online about quite a few young people's experience with it, is that a different thing, or does it depend on if you are genetically more likely? Can't computer usage cause it?

I recommend you read this following article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3306104/

Dry eye syndrome, also known as keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS), is a common condition ... characterized by inflammation of the ocular surface and lacrimal glands.

Knowledge of the pathophysiology of dry eye has recently been improved and the condition is now understood to be a multifactorial disease, characterized by inflammation of the ocular surface and reduction in tear production.

That being said, dry eye isn't caused by starring into a monitor, but is likely adding to a condition that already exists.

Approximately 1 out of 7 individuals aged 65 to 84 years reports symptoms of dry eye often or all of the time ... the prevalence of the condition doubled after the age of 59. A study on 926 subjects aged 40 years and older, found a higher prevalence of dry eye in women who were also more likely to have a dry eye-related diagnosis or procedure. According to another study, women experienced a sharp increase in the prevalence of dry eye earlier than men, around the age of 45, roughly at the onset of menopause.7

Tear deficiency dry eye can further be subdivided into non-Sjogren syndrome and Sjogren syndrome, which is an autoimmune disease associated with lacrimal and salivary gland lymphocytic infiltration.

Make sure to check out the definition for, autoimmune disease. Essentially it's something you cannot control.

Systemic disorders, such as diabetes mellitus, thyroid disease, rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus can also lead to dry eye. In addition, neurotrophic deficiency, previous eye surgery (such as corneal transplantation, extracapsular cataract procedures and refractive surgery), or long-term use of medications which create hypersensitivity or toxicity in the eye can predispose to dry eye. Many systemic medications, such as diuretics, antihistamines, antidepressants, psychotropics, cholesterol lowering agents, beta-blockers and oral contraceptives may also be associated with dry eye.

Read these carefully Upwards Arrow Without knowing anything about you, I'm quite certain you do not have dry eye, especially not from playing video games or working on a computer.
EyeMan12 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
I recommend you read this following article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3306104/
Dry eye syndrome, also known as keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS), is a common condition ... characterized by inflammation of the ocular surface and lacrimal glands. Knowledge of the pathophysiology of dry eye has recently been improved and the condition is now understood to be a multifactorial disease, characterized by inflammation of the ocular surface and reduction in tear production.
That being said, dry eye isn't caused by starring into a monitor, but is likely adding to a condition that already exists.
Approximately 1 out of 7 individuals aged 65 to 84 years reports symptoms of dry eye often or all of the time ... the prevalence of the condition doubled after the age of 59. A study on 926 subjects aged 40 years and older, found a higher prevalence of dry eye in women who were also more likely to have a dry eye-related diagnosis or procedure. According to another study, women experienced a sharp increase in the prevalence of dry eye earlier than men, around the age of 45, roughly at the onset of menopause.7 Tear deficiency dry eye can further be subdivided into non-Sjogren syndrome and Sjogren syndrome, which is an autoimmune disease associated with lacrimal and salivary gland lymphocytic infiltration.
Make sure to check out the definition for, autoimmune disease. Essentially it's something you cannot control.
Systemic disorders, such as diabetes mellitus, thyroid disease, rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus can also lead to dry eye. In addition, neurotrophic deficiency, previous eye surgery (such as corneal transplantation, extracapsular cataract procedures and refractive surgery), or long-term use of medications which create hypersensitivity or toxicity in the eye can predispose to dry eye. Many systemic medications, such as diuretics, antihistamines, antidepressants, psychotropics, cholesterol lowering agents, beta-blockers and oral contraceptives may also be associated with dry eye.
Read these carefully Upwards Arrow Without knowing anything about you, I'm quite certain you do not have dry eye, especially not from playing video games or working on a computer.

Thank I will take a look at the article. I know I don't have any autoimmune diseases (or at the very least don't have any other symptoms of one).

I noticed yesterday that the pain and eye watering seems to be only in one eye (my right eye). I have for a while had a tendency to get pain in my right eye (as in if I get a random pain in  my eye, it would normally be in the right one, etc)

I know from a few days ago as well that when I open my eyes and don't blink, the right one will produce a lot of tears and sting a lot after being open for about 10 seconds. (which IU don't really understand, as using a compuyter you bl'ink less than once every 10 seconds apparently, and my eye wasn't sore before a couple of days ago).

I have read articles about how dry eye is possible in young people: https://www.reviewofoptometry.com/article/dry-eye-a-young-persons-disease

Is it possible to get dry eye in just one eye?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Could it be a bacterial infection, like bacterial conjunctivitis?

I'll stick to the autoimmune explanation of the disease, and if so, both eyes should be equally affected. Sure there are cases as presented by the article you provided, but I don't like making my diagnosis based on outliers. I like to choose the more obvious explanation.
EyeMan12 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Could it be a bacterial infection, like bacterial conjunctivitis? I'll stick to the autoimmune explanation of the disease, and if so, both eyes should be equally affected. Sure there are cases as presented by the article you provided, but I don't like making my diagnosis based on outliers. I like to choose the more obvious explanation.

I don't think it can be bacterial, I don't really have any of the other symptoms. If it was autoimmune though would I not have other symptoms of an auto immune disease?

I was wondering if it could be just in one eye as I have a prescription for glasses, for only one eye. It isn't the eye that's sore, however maybe that one is compensating for the other one which is making it sore or something? (I always forget to wear my glasses now I'm at home all the time)
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
I don't think it can be bacterial, I don't really have any of the other symptoms. If it was autoimmune though would I not have other symptoms of an auto immune disease?

There are countless different types of autoimmune diseases, and therefore they don't share the same symptoms. In this case, if your immune system is attacking the lacrimal glands, you'd be experiencing "dry eye", whereas if your immune system were attacking your joints, you'd be experiencing symptoms of arthritis.

I was wondering if it could be just in one eye as I have a prescription for glasses, for only one eye. It isn't the eye that's sore, however maybe that one is compensating for the other one which is making it sore or something? (I always forget to wear my glasses now I'm at home all the time)

Sore due to dryness? So the good eye which doesn't require glasses is sore, while the weak one that uses glasses isn't. It doesn't make sense to me that the good eye, which works correctly would be sore because the other eye is using glasses. Glasses are designed to focus light on the retina, it corrects this process.

Curious though, did you only start experiencing this symptoms, or did they begin when you started wearing your glasses?
EyeMan12 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
There are countless different types of autoimmune diseases, and therefore they don't share the same symptoms. In this case, if your immune system is attacking the lacrimal glands, you'd be experiencing "dry eye", whereas if your immune system were attacking your joints, you'd be experiencing symptoms of arthritis.
Sore due to dryness? So the good eye which doesn't require glasses is sore, while the weak one that uses glasses isn't. It doesn't make sense to me that the good eye, which works correctly would be sore because the other eye is using glasses. Glasses are designed to focus light on the retina, it corrects this process. Curious though, did you only start experiencing this symptoms, or did they begin when you started wearing your glasses?

I have never really worn my glasses when using my screen, as I always forget. Everyone gets eye strain so I'm not really sure when I first experienced it, but I do remember it being mainly in the right eye. I got the glasses prescription about a year and a half ago, but idk how long I needed it for, as it's quite slight so not really that noticeable (if I put my glasses on I see a difference, but it's not like I'm squinting to try and read stuff if I don't wear them., I think it's about a 0.2, if I remember correctly, idk what that means really lol)
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
I think you should try an experiment on yourself. Try wearing your prescription glasses for a week and see how that affects you. If you stop feeling that sensation in the good eye, then you're getting closer to understanding the culprit of your problem. Otherwise, it may be another underlying issue that either needs fixing or is psychosomatic.
EyeMan12 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
I think you should try an experiment on yourself. Try wearing your prescription glasses for a week and see how that affects you. If you stop feeling that sensation in the good eye, then you're getting closer to understanding the culprit of your problem. Otherwise, it may be another underlying issue that either needs fixing or is psychosomatic.

I'll try that over the next week. I think I might have a 2 or 3 days break from really "focussing" on anything (i.e. no focusing on one thing for ages, screens, books, TV etc) as well.

I might try get an optician appointment too, my prescription may need updating.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
All the luck to you, EyeMan12

Feel free to update us on what happens
EyeMan12 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
All the luck to you, EyeMan12 Feel free to update us on what happens

Thanks. Just one extra question atm, as I mentioned there is a decent chance that it may be psychosomatic, but is it possible for my eye to water more psychosomaticly? As I feel like it does water more when it's a bit sore or feels weird.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
As I feel like it does water more when it's a bit sore or feels weird.

That, in itself, is psychosomatic Grinning Face with Smiling Eyes This whole "I feel" possibly means you're imagining it. If it's definitive, you'd tell me, YES, it's watering significantly more than normal.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1298 People Browsing
 122 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion