d
c
r
e
myrnac09 myrnac09
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
Hello, I have been analyzing two strains of the same species of microalgae isolated in very close geographical regions and I found that the genomic architecture of the chloroplast was different. One of these strains has the chloroplast genome almost identical to another strain of the same microalgae but isolated on another continent. So my question is, what are the possible reasons why the strains that are on different continents are more closely evolutionary than those that are closer? and also what are the possible reasons for the difference between the length of the genomes? Thanks in advance.
Read 118 times
4 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Hello again,

When you conducted your study, how many times did you conduct your tests? Were your findings significant at 95% confidence? I'm getting the sense that what you found may not be reflective of the entire population.

Furthermore, how did you acquire algae from two different continents? You must be using literature to acquire your chloroplast DNA map. What species did you use? Wouldn't mind review the facts myself to doublecheck your findings.
myrnac09 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
I did the assembly of the chloroplast genome of a strain isolated in Mexico. I did the assembly by reference with a strain also native to Mexico, this is the NCBI access number: KX530454.1. I also assembled by reference with a strain isolated in Australia, this is the accession number in NCBI: GQ250046.1. What I found is that the strain I assembled by reference with the Australian strain was almost identical, with a 99% match, compared to the other strain from Mexico, which resulted in a 79% match. So my question is that, what are the possible reasons for the evolutionary proximity between the Australian strain and Mexico rather than the proximity between the two strains isolated in Mexico?.
Thanks again  Smiling Face with Open Mouth
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
3 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 240 words.
Source  http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/129/3/957