× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
slimes slimes
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
3 years ago
I need just the last step to this question which is putting all of the factored terms together and canceling everything out.
It took a while to factor each term so here are the answers for each of them so that it's a lot easier.
4( z + h)^7
4z^7 + 28z^6h + 84z^5h^2 + 140z^4h^3 + 140z^3h^4 + 84z^2h^5 + 28zh^6 + 4h^7

-3(z + h)^-7
-3/z^7 + 7z^6h + 21z^5h^2 + 35z^4h^3 + 35z^3h^4 + 21z^2h^5 + 7zh^6 + h^7

9(z + h)
9z + 9h

-(4z^7 - 3z^-7 + 9z)
-4z^14 - 9z^8 + 3/z^7
Read 952 times
12 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Are you certain your teacher expects you to answer this via first principles? Seems kind of cruel and unnecessary. All I'll tell you is that the answer should be:

\(28z^6+21z^{-8}+9\)

*note: I found this using a more practical way of finding derivatives... You probably haven't learned it yet

Also keep in mind that whatever \(\left(z+h\right)^7\) expands to, you can also use it for the second term, that can be written as \(\frac{3}{z^7}\) instead.

My advice is that if this isn't for an assignment (i.e. for marks), I wouldn't worry about it moving forward.
slimes Author
wrote...
3 years ago
well we haven't actually done an example like this in class. I came across this question as I was searching practice questions for finding the derivative using first principles. I just thought it was important to know these kind of questions just in case if I ever get tested on it.

Also keep in mind that whatever \(\left(z+h\right)^7\) expands to, you can also use it for the second term, that can be written as \(\frac{3}{z^7}\) instead.
Done that ^

wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I don't think I'll go ahead to do this, it'd take me like 10 pages 😆 Sorry, slimes

What I would do instead is look at the difficulty level of your textbook, and don't go beyond that
slimes Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Totally understandable. using first principles for a question like this will take a very long time. I just needed an explanation on how to cancel everything out, once factoring all of g(z) = 4z^7 - 3z^-7 + 9z. There is a fraction on top of the fraction itself, like what I had showed Upwards Arrow^^ it's hard to tell you what I mean, a lot easier if I showed you all of the steps that I did on paper.
What I would do instead is look at the difficulty level of your textbook, and don't go beyond that
Will do that Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Yeah, that's why mathematicians developed techniques to find derivatives without having to use the "definition of a derivative". I wouldn't mind showing you and example of lesser powers, say x^2 and x^-2, but x^7 is just overkill.
slimes Author
wrote...
3 years ago
sure you can attempt to do the same question except you can use a lesser exponent such as 2 or 3. that would be extremely helpful, thanks
slimes Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Hi bio man, have you tried to attempt the question? sorry if sounds like I'm pushing you or anything, but just curious because it would have helped me a lot to see the full solution of this question. I have been working on other questions as well, but just without the negative exponent's because I'm just unsure of the steps.
Thanks.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Hi slimes, I haven't forgotten about your request. Just to give you a sense of how it's done, take a look at this video. It uses first principles to find the derivative of \(f\left(x\right)=\frac{1}{x}\), which is equivalent to \(f\left(x\right)=x^{-1}\)

I want you to notice the algebraic complexity required to do what you're requesting.
slimes Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Hey bio_man, would you mind still showing me the full solution for this question, but instead with exponents 2/-2. I've been ignoring this question, as I was practicing other derivative questions, so now I want to come back to this one. hope that's okay, Thanks.
ALSO, I did watch the video but I still would like to see the solution.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, bio_man
Hey bio_man, would you mind still showing me the full solution for this question, but instead with exponents 2/-2. I've been ignoring this question, as I was practicing other derivative questions, so now I want to come back to this one. hope that's okay, Thanks. ALSO, I did watch the video but I still would like to see the solution.

Like I said already, no teacher is going to ask you to do this using the definition of a derivative, and here's why:

The answer is a bit off, should be + 9 instead of + 48, but that's something you can sort through. Take a good look at the amount of algebra needed, even a seasoned veteran like myself messed up a little. No offence, but I will not be answering questions on this topic moving forward
slimes Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Yes it was a difficult question to solve using for first principles, but I still wanted to attempt, which I did. So sorry for making you do this type of question, as a I searched for practice questions with first principles, I was given a lot of difficult/long processed ones like this. Thank you for taking the time to do this question, I will use it to help me with other questions.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
You're welcome. The reason teachers don't ask these questions is because it becomes less calculus and more algebra, and the purpose of calculus assessments is to see if you can apply calculus concepts, and not to the point that it's consumed completely by the algebra.

Good luck 
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1260 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4